March 28, 2024, 01:20:43 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: titration of guanidine acetic acid  (Read 8070 times)

LG05

titration of guanidine acetic acid
« on: July 14, 2005, 09:28:44 AM »
I have a question regarding titration of guandine acetic acid. I was trying to determine the titratable amount by dissolving the compound in acidic water (pH adjusted to 1.8) and titrating up till pH12 using 1N NaOH.

from the derivative plot (dpH/dv), I can only see one inflection point.

I thought guandine group can not be titrated (pKa too high), but the COOH should be. Shouldn't I see two inflection points? any ideas why I am seeing just one?  

I combined conductometric titration with potentiometric titration, still saw one turning point in the conductometric plot..

Thanks in advance

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:titration of guanidine acetic acid
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 10:40:09 AM »
I have a question regarding titration of guandine acetic acid. I was trying to determine the titratable amount by dissolving the compound in acidic water (pH adjusted to 1.8) and titrating up till pH12 using 1N NaOH.

What is approximate concentration of your guandine acetic acid (is it proper spelling)?

Your solution contains 0.016M of (probably strong) acid used for acidifying the solution to 1.8 - have you taken its titration into account?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

LG05

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 11:25:11 AM »

I was using 0181 g of guanidine acetic acid in 51.792g solution (pH adjusted to 1.8 to make sure COOH is protonated). It's 1.546 mmol (FW 117.11)

The only inflection point I see is around pH 4, looks like the end point of strong acid neutralization (excess HCl I added in). I couldn't see any other inflection points ( I titrated till pH 12.5)

Thanks.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 11:32:49 AM »
Organic COOH have pKa's from 2-3, your acid may not be low enough. Do you know exactly what the pKa should be?
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

LG05

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 01:07:23 PM »

I don't know exactly. But I guess you are right. The structure is similar to amino acid (guanidine at the alpha location could excert some induction effect). so the pKa should be 2-3

any idea how to titrate those low pKa acids?

Sponsored Links