April 18, 2024, 09:50:51 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Efficient way of cleaning NMR tubes?  (Read 11635 times)

Offline Telamond

• Mole Snacks: +6/-0
Efficient way of cleaning NMR tubes?
« on: January 25, 2010, 01:35:03 PM »
So I managed to build up a stock of dirty NMR tubes (lazy me) and I was wondering if there was a fast way to get them clean? The way I do it is just to pipette in water/acetone (alternate that 5 times). So if anyone have another way to get them cleaned up, please share tips!  :D

Offline stewie griffin

• Mole Snacks: +61/-7
Re: Efficient way of cleaning NMR tubes?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 03:08:31 PM »
Make yourself an NMR tube cleaner:
http://www.thechemblog.com/?p=878

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 03:30:47 PM »
I built a cleaner based on the same concept as the one above.  But I miss my bachelor's work where my supervisor's advice was "I want you doing chemistry, a used NMR tube is used, buy new ones when needed and toss the used ones."

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 03:31:35 PM »
I used different methods. Generally, I just took a handful of tubes and rinsed them with acetone. Separated out the clean from the less than clean. Let them dry and separate them again. Then I'd try rinsing the dirty ones again with different solvents, heating, etc. or use an NMR tube cleaner similar to what Stewie suggested.

It depended on what I wanted the tube for. If I was just checking a reaction, I didn't knock myself out with handling individual tubes. I can add acetone to about 50 tubes, dump and repeat pretty quickly. If I wanted a really clean tube, I just used a new one. (How else can you acquire a stock of dirty NMR tubes?)
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline Med90

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 11:47:04 PM »
you can use NMR jet cleaner. But it's expensive. To minimize expense you can make by yourself as stewie has suggested in thechemblog.
you can watch demonstration in youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AasMEnCtsEI

and for details, plz check out the following blog.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 02:47:03 AM »
Make yourself an NMR tube cleaner:
http://www.thechemblog.com/?p=878

Yeah, make on of these. We have one based on the same principle too. The major advantage is being able to wash the tube with water or aqueous acid or base - which is not an option without suction due to the high surface tension of water. This is a common problem for us as all our synthetic targets are very polar and usually have to be run in D2O.

You can also get pipe-cleaners (little brushes) long and thin enough to scrub out nmr tubes.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links