April 25, 2024, 03:35:53 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Basic chemical problems, word problems (set up)  (Read 4268 times)

Offline Dustin

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Basic chemical problems, word problems (set up)
« on: January 28, 2010, 07:33:21 PM »
I'm having trouble setting up basic word problems when dealing with conversions of units or finding certain values. Two examples of the sort of problems that I'm dealing with are:

1. The Volume of a well is 40.00 ft^3. How many kg of cement will it take to fill the pipe if the density of cement is 2.95g/cm^3?

2. Newer copper pennies actually contain very little copper. A new penny is 97.3% Zinc and 2.7% copper by mass. What is the density of a new penny if the density of pure copper is 8.95g/cm^3 and pure zinc is 7.14 g/cm^3?

I already have the answers to these problems, but I can't figure out how to set them up to get to the right answers. We are supposed to be using Conversion factors and dimensional analysis.

All help is appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Dustin

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Basic chemical problems, word problems (set up)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 08:46:55 PM »
I understanding setting up basic problems where I use conversion factors and dimensional analysis, but my main problem is setting up these more difficult problems. Just setting them up for me is the issue.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Basic chemical problems, word problems (set up)
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 01:51:58 AM »
I'm having trouble setting up basic word problems when dealing with conversions of units or finding certain values. Two examples of the sort of problems that I'm dealing with are:

1. The Volume of a well is 40.00 ft^3. How many kg of cement will it take to fill the pipe if the density of cement is 2.95g/cm^3?

For instance, how many cm3 are there in 1 ft3? How many g in 1 kg?

Sponsored Links