April 19, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Gas Law question, gr. 11, university chem (please, help)  (Read 3273 times)

Offline chabo21

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Gas Law question, gr. 11, university chem (please, help)
« on: February 11, 2010, 09:01:25 PM »
Hi, here's the qs:
The fuel supply for a course-correcting rocket engine on a communications satellite is contained in a steel sphere.  The volume of the sphere is 10.0L.  The sphere is able to deliver 1400L of gas at room temperature (25C) and 101.3kPa.  Calculate the pressure that the sphere can withstand if the normal operating temperature of the sphere is -10C.

I am not sure if i should use the combined gas law? I though maybe I should use gay-lussac's Law...
It's says the volume of the sphere is 10.0, but then it says the volume of gas it can deliver is 1400L at room temp...how is that possible?

-Please can someone provide a solution to this! Thanks  :)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Gas Law question, gr. 11, university chem (please, help)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 03:33:50 AM »
It's says the volume of the sphere is 10.0, but then it says the volume of gas it can deliver is 1400L at room temp...how is that possible?

That's because it is pressurized. At the same time that's the information needed to calculate amount of gas present. Not that it is necessary, combined should do.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline chabo21

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 03:38:45 PM »

That's because it is pressurized. At the same time that's the information needed to calculate amount of gas present. Not that it is necessary, combined should do.

-so would the final volume be 10.0L and the inital volume 1400L?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 05:59:57 PM »
Yes.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links