March 28, 2024, 04:58:46 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: HHO Revisited - "Hydrogenated Water" ?  (Read 9853 times)

Offline dieselcruiserhead

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
HHO Revisited - "Hydrogenated Water" ?
« on: March 04, 2010, 12:36:00 AM »
Hi all,

Pardon this post as my first and probably only one.   I have read about HHOs for several years and am aware of the laws of physics that basically mark HHO as a scam.  So I had written it off some time ago. 

However, a friend who I trust who is a little bit of a mad scientist has experimented with HHO quite a bit.  He drives a naturally aspirated 1.6 liter diesel Volkswagen that is normally a dog.  He emerged today with one of the most sophisticated looking HHOs I have seen that uses stainless steel plates with large surface area to give electrolysis to the water.

He says that he messed with HHO as well and it gave little or no performance but via assistance of a friend of his who has chemical engineering experience they have been able to basically "hydrogenate" the water so it has significantly higher hydrogen content and that it actually works in this function. 

He is very confident in it to the extent he is willing to build me one and lend it to me and see for myself also using his water.  I must say I gave the normally stinky Volkwagen a sniff and you could tell its emissions characteristics were noticeably improved at least...   It wasn't black or smokey like it normally is...

So this really has me thinking/wondering..  If extra energy is somehow placed into the water couldn't this possibly change the output of the HHO?

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
Re: HHO Revisited - "Hydrogenated Water" ?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 01:59:23 AM »
It sounds like he's just dissolving some hydrogen in the water maybe?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 03:07:27 AM »
No way to put "extra energy in water". Snake oil all over.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 11:05:37 AM »
The question was related to changing the chemical structure of the H2O through hydrogenation.  He is telling me it has 8 times the amount of hydrogen in it and this is why it works.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 11:24:24 AM »
There is no way to put 8 times more hydrogen in water. There is no such thing as water with chemical structure changed by hydrogenation.

Honestly, this is a terrible example of things that are so wrong that it is not even clear where to start explaining profound idiocy of the idea. Hydrogenation is a process in which hydrogen is added to compound that CAN ACCEPT IT, not to anything. After hydrogenation you have a different compound. Water won't accept more hydrogen, but even if it would accept, it would be no longer water.

See also http://www.chem1.com/CQ/wonkywater.html#HYD
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 11:42:34 AM »
Honestly, this is a terrible example of things that are so wrong that it is not even clear where to start explaining profound idiocy of the idea.

Nice, have a snack. Shouldn't we move this to the humor forum?
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 12:47:33 AM »
Thank you guys, appreciated...

Sponsored Links