March 28, 2024, 05:10:29 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Labs, anyone got good CBL or such ones?  (Read 15540 times)

petegt

Labs, anyone got good CBL or such ones?
« on: July 25, 2005, 11:27:26 AM »
I am a teacher at a high school in maryland.  I am looking for some good possibly computer oriented labs or calculator based activities with gas laws, ph, or kinetics.  Can anyone help me?  I tried searching for CBL's and such and didn't get much.

Thanks ahead of time

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Labs, anyone got good CBL or such ones?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 01:35:39 PM »
http;//www.chembuddy.com
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 01:41:38 PM »
When I took chemistry in high school I wrote a calculator program to solve all the gas law stuff.  That might be an interesting activity.  The best part about it was that my chemistry teacher let me use it on the exams since I had written it myself.  I don't think I have the program anymore, but it wouldn't be too hard to write again.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 02:30:09 PM »
Geo already posted address of my website (I was reluctant to do so, as BATE - which can be used for such a lab - is a commercial product).

However, take a look at

http://www.chembuddy.com/files/diffusion.zip

- small (and free) program that simulates diffusion (it is based on idea published back in eighties in Journal of Chemical Education). The faster the computer - the better (although 600MHz will be enough if you are patient).

I think you can use it for an interesting lab - finding dependence between time needed to end the simulation and the window height (while diffusion model is very simplified, results are in accordance with theoretical predictions). Window height plays a role of solution thickness here (to speed up the simulation make the window high, but narrow). End of the simulation is the moment when the anode and cathode are connected by the dendrites (*%^*%^, how to name this moment in English?)

Edit: ops, sorry - diffusion is not a gas laws, pH nor kinetics :(
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 02:36:23 PM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

petegt

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 11:55:07 AM »
diffusion is great!  MAybe not a "Law" but heck, it is something i touch on because students need to know them.  Actually it is a law, grahm's law of diffusion.  Close enough.  Thanks for the links!

Pete

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 05:51:13 PM »
diffusion is great!  MAybe not a "Law" but heck, it is something i touch on because students need to know them.  Actually it is a law, grahm's law of diffusion.

And not Fick's?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

savoy7

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 12:27:31 AM »
Did you look at LabPro's by venier?  They seem to work well.  Price might be a problem.  If  you want more info, let me know.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2005, 05:21:48 PM »
if CBL is going to be a component of your school chemistry syllabus, why not get the school to pay for it? It will be good business for Borek too

;)
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links