April 23, 2024, 05:53:54 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Post-doc: Should I or should I not?  (Read 4929 times)

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-7
  • Quantum Kitten
Post-doc: Should I or should I not?
« on: April 08, 2010, 06:43:12 PM »
I am supposed to be graduating next year and I have been thinking about this a lot.  I want the major part of my career to focus on teaching but I am not sure how much I want to delve into research.  I really like doing research, but I don't like the bureaucracy that goes with it.  I understand that it comes with the job, but some of it really bugs me.  So I am pretty sure I don't want a research based tenure track faculty position.  I had originally planned to not do a post doc and find a job teaching somewhere.  However, at a workshop I went to at the recent ACS meeting, I was told that I probably should do a post doc since I want to do some research. 

What do you guys think?  Should I consider doing a post doc?  I am concerned about moving away.  I did my undergraduate and graduate work at the same school in the city I grew up in.  I know that's not ideal but I am visually impaired and need some family support to help me with transportation (especially when I am sick or when I need to move, make large (in size) purchases, etc.).  If I go somewhere else, it has to be another large city with decent public transportation.  I am thinking about this when it comes to looking for a regular job as well.  I would like to stay here, but want to keep my options open.  I was told that if I did want a tenure track position at a top 50 university, I would need to do a post-doc at a top 10 school and publish more.  The former just makes me feel sick, I don't think I can get a post-doc at any of those schools.  It's a bit troublesome and I just need some good advice before I start job (or post doc) hunting.  Also, are there "teaching/research postdocs"?  Or, would I need to find an adjunct position for teaching experience if I choose the post-doc route? 

Thanks for reading and I am open to suggestions. 

Offline LQ43

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-9
Re: Post-doc: Should I or should I not?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 09:25:29 AM »
It was a long time ago but I had the same feelings at the end of grad school.

If you want to do more teaching than research, small liberal arts colleges have positions that focus on teaching but also want undergrads - even first years - to have research experience. So they would be looking for faculty with the ability to introduce much younger students to research and in some cases, you might be expected to carry on some research but with undergrads or masters students at best. Of course then the research might not be the intense, publish or perish type and if you get 1 paper a year or every couple of years,  then that might be as much as expected.

For a taste of this kind of thing, some schools have visiting professorships (basically a lectureship) but might have some research opportunities with it.

Post-docs can only help to give you options if you do decide to accept a more research intensive position. I would recommend keeping your options open. At least with a post-doc, you are still having fun with the research and maybe have a few grad students to help/lead but still not responsible for lab bills.

just my 2 cents.

Sponsored Links