March 29, 2024, 06:51:35 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: The presence of Nitrogen or Sulphur in an organic compound.  (Read 10153 times)

Karakth

Hi all,

I wasn't quite sure if I was to post this in the Organic Chemistry section or here, but I finally decided it was analytical in nature.

My question(s) are:

1. How do you identify chemically the presence of Nitrogen in an organic compound?
2, How do you identify chemically the presence of Sulphur in an organic compound?

Any help would be appreciated, I've got a feeling it involves methods that have long become obsolete thanks to Mass Spectrometry.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:The presence of Nitrogen or Sulphur in an organic compound.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 08:06:50 AM »
1. How do you identify chemically the presence of Nitrogen in an organic compound?
2, How do you identify chemically the presence of Sulphur in an organic compound?

Classic procedure will be to melt sample with sodium and throw hot testglass into water. Filtrate is then tested for CN- (addition of Fe2+ gives Prussian blue) and sulfides (PbS precipitation). In both cases you must maintain correct pH. Procedures are described in Vogel's Textbook of Practical Organic Chemistry.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Karakth

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 10:06:42 AM »
Ah yes, the Carius method.

Thank you for your help.

Offline Dude

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +42/-9
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 10:35:26 AM »
From an industrial perspective, sulfur and nitrogen are usually detected via chemiluminescence (0.2 ppm DL).  The organic sample is combusted- converting nitrogen and sulfur compounds to their oxides-which are then spectroscopically measured for sulfur dioxide and nitrogen dioxide content (N actually takes two steps).  Antek is one of the more well-known manufacturers of the sulfur and nitrogen detectors.

Offline sdekivit

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-3
  • B.Sc Biomedical Sciences, Utrecht University
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 12:32:50 PM »
when u combust a nitrogencontaining molecule, you get nitrous gases which are yellow/brown, so that's a good indication for nitrogen :)

oldddog

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 04:27:01 AM »
I seem to remember using FTIR to determine the various components/chemical bonds in an organic compound - of course it helps if its to be pure.

Sponsored Links