April 25, 2024, 11:16:58 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question about enantiomers  (Read 3875 times)

Offline Costanza9

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Question about enantiomers
« on: April 11, 2010, 12:31:15 AM »
Hey guys, I'm kind of confused about this question.I understand how 3 could be correct because you can rotate 1 to get 3. But I'm not sure how to look at these Fischer projections. Thanks for the help.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: Question about enantiomers
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 04:35:41 AM »
These are not true Fischer projections as the dashes and wedges are already drawn in - all you need to do is rotate them to get two bonds in the plane of the page.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fischer_projection
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline g-bones

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-7
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 04:31:50 PM »
Build models.  Its always a good idea to build a model because then you actually have the 3d structures to compare with each other.  Avoids mistakes by trying to rotate molecules in your mind (even though youll get used to it eventually)

Offline Costanza9

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 04:34:15 PM »
I still can't decide which of the choices 4,5,6 is the correct one, how am I suppose to rotate them?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 04:45:18 PM by Costanza9 »

Offline imanooblar

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 04:46:57 PM »
Couldn't you find the absolute configuration of 1 (which is S) and find all the other examples that have a configuration of R, which would lead you to the enantiomers?

Offline Costanza9

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 06:34:41 PM »
Couldn't you find the absolute configuration of 1 (which is S) and find all the other examples that have a configuration of R, which would lead you to the enantiomers?

Ok I tried doing it this way, I found the configuration of each stereo center. 1 was an S, 2 was an R, 3 was an S, 4 was an S, 5 was an R. (This could be wrong, I am new to this stuff). 3 and 4 were both S, so was the original. The answer is also B (3,4), so would that mean that since the original was S then the same enantiomers would also have to be S?

Sponsored Links