March 28, 2024, 08:51:33 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What are the similarities of covalent bonds and ionic bonds  (Read 16851 times)

Offline help784

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What are the similarities of covalent bonds and ionic bonds
« on: April 30, 2010, 10:44:39 AM »
I know they are both intermolecular.  But what else?  I am not really understanding these bonds, I found how they are different but I was asked how they are similar, my teacher said they are similiar in a few other ways and that I should look it up.... I can't find anything else.  Can I get a few hints on how they are similar?

Thanks

Offline help784

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: What are the similarities of covalent bonds and ionic bonds
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 11:38:24 PM »
Sorry I meant they are interatomic bonds.... is that the same as intramolecular?  What else do they have in common?  Thanks

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 01:01:10 AM »
Interatomic does not necessarily mean intermolecular, unless it is a monoatomic molecule we are talking about (i.e., molecule and atom refer to the same thing. For example, Ar, He, Ne, Xe)

Generally, interatomic refers to atoms that are part of a molecule (example, force b/w Na and Cl in NaCl is interatomic)

Intermolecular refers to different molecules (For example, van der Waals force between two molecules of CH4 is intermolecular)
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 03:10:27 AM »
They are both caused by electrostatic interactions: obviously in the ionic bond these can be seen (using a simplified model) as attraction forces between two opposite charges while in the covalent bond you have to consider the coupled effects of attractive and repulsive forces of electron clouds and nuclei.
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Sponsored Links