March 29, 2024, 06:11:09 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: chemicals in everyday life  (Read 6190 times)

phoebe

chemicals in everyday life
« on: July 30, 2005, 09:52:46 PM »
1. how could you distinguish sodium chloride from sodium iodide? show reactions.

i have an idea about this but i think it's not enough: here we go:
           sodium chloride is a white crystal substance while sodium iodide has a yellowish crystal property. REACTIONS: NaCl + NaI----> NaClI? is this reaction of both chemical subs. is right?

2.Do you think that washing soda, could be used for the same purpose as baking soda? would washing soda react wiht HCl? write the chemical equation. write chemical equation for the reaction of baking soda with HCl?

ans. definitely yes..for washing soda, cuts grease, cleans petroleum oil, removes wax or lipstick, and neutralizes odors in the same way that baking soda does. and i think washing soda react with HCl.
       but for the chemical eqn of those things..im not pretty sure with my ans.can i have your help?

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
Re:chemicals in everyday life
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 05:11:29 AM »
1. the 2 salts just dont combine together. they form a solution of sodium, chloride and iodide ions in water though, otherwise u'll just have a yellow-whitish mixture of both salts. by reactions, i think they are reffering to the anion tests in qualitative analysis.

2. washing soda is sodium carbonate. what happens when an acid reacts with a carbonate?
one learns best by teaching

Offline sdekivit

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-3
  • B.Sc Biomedical Sciences, Utrecht University
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 05:19:12 AM »
the same priniciple can be used for the following:
a nice way to clean your coffemaker for example is to wash it with vinegar.

--> the calciumcarbonate will react with the acetic acid in the vinegar and, hence the deposit of calciumcarbonate in the coffee maker is gone.

(you just need to wash the coffee maker properly, otherwise you'll have vinegarcoffee :))

Maybe another way to distinguish between NaCl and NaI is to add a Hg-salt.This will give a precipitation with iodide-ions, but not with chloride ions.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 05:25:29 AM by sdekivit »

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 01:41:56 PM »
are the melting points the same?
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sponsored Links