April 24, 2024, 08:31:37 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Solubility Product Constants and Molarity  (Read 3567 times)

Offline amallyllej

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Solubility Product Constants and Molarity
« on: May 06, 2010, 04:07:25 AM »
So--I feel I'm overthinking this but it's really, really getting on my nerves.

Apparently, we're to calculate the solubility product constant of PbI2 by using a lab where we added varying amounts of Pb(NO3)2 and KI and watched for a precipitate. Our group's appeared after 2.0 mL of 0.010M Pb(NO3)2 and 1.0 mL of 0.020M KI, though we did have intervals between trials of 1 ml for Pb(NO3)2 and 0.5 for KI.

Our first questions were simple; net ionic equation for the precipitate formed (Pb2+ (aq) + 2I- (aq) -> PbI2 (s))and the Ksp ([Pb2+][I-]2) but the rest is Greek to me despite my A on this unit's test. I feel I'm doing one thing wrong or misinterpreting the question.

For the next question, I calculated the moles of Pb2+ by converting mL to L, and converting 0.002 L to moles using 0.010 M. I got 2.0 X 10-5. Then, I had to find the concentration of Pb2+ in the whole solution we used (which had a total of 0.01 L after adding water), so I divided moles by liters to get 0.002.

The next question was similar but with KI. I followed the same basic concepts as the above paragraph, but because there was 0.001 L converted to moles using 0.020 M, I got the same number of moles as Pb(NO3)2. The concentration out of 10 mL is again requested, but when I convert the moles, I divide by liters and get the same answer as above; 0.002.

I know that PbI2 has twice the moles of I as that of Pb, so I even tried to divide Pb in half and plug everything in to the Ksp. However, I got [0.010][0.020]2 which is 4 x -9 than the accepted Ksp value. The accepted value is 1.39 x 10 -8.

Where am I going crazy?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Solubility Product Constants and Molarity
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 06:02:38 AM »
Don't try to fit your results to the accepted value, that's against the idea of experimental determination of the value.

Calculate Q (reaction quotient, in your case identical with Ksp) for both the mix where you have observed the precipitate and the mix where there was no precipitate, but Q was the largest smaller than the one with precipitate. Real Ksp is somewhere between these values.

PbI2 composition doesn't matter, only things that matter are concentrations of ions used in Q.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline amallyllej

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Solubility Product Constants and Molarity
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 09:13:25 AM »
Thank you! Though our teacher hadn't taught us that, I wish she did. I ended up just using my goofy numbers to get a 57.6% error, which is farther from the accurate value than it usually is in our labs.

Sponsored Links