April 19, 2024, 02:50:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: octane number  (Read 6881 times)

Offline liliesx3

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
octane number
« on: May 10, 2010, 09:14:22 PM »
Which of the following hydrocarbons would have the highest octane rating in a fuel?
A.iso-octane, (CH3)3CCH2CH(CH3)2
B.n-heptane
C.cumene, C6H5CH(CH3)2
D.n-hexane
E.1-pentene

A = 100
B = 0
C = 109
D = 25
E = 91

I know the answer is C but I was just wondering you figure out the octane number. I just looked up the values but I wanted to know the understanding behind it. I was told that I need to count carbons? How does counting carbons affect the octane number.

Thank you.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: octane number
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 03:09:41 AM »
I can be wrong, but as far as I can tell octane number is something that is determined experimentally, I am not aware of any simple rules that can be used. Could be they exist, but if so they probably can be used to compare two fuels with assumption that everything else is identical - say n-heptane and n-octane, or more branched octane with less branched octane. They probably fail miserably when comparing two completely different compounds (like say n-hexane and branched octane). That's just an (more or less) educated guess, but that's what I would expect.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 10:17:10 AM »
From what I've heard, branching increases octane number(of course if the molecular masses are comparable, like Borek rightly said. No use comparing apples and oranges :) )

Aromatic hydocarbons have excellent anti-knock properties,and hence high octane numbers. So a good guess will be cumene.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline liliesx3

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 10:43:26 AM »
thank you. this helps greatly. :)

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 12:05:13 PM »
AWK