April 18, 2024, 08:43:28 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: CO2 collection  (Read 2998 times)

Offline hal9000

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
CO2 collection
« on: May 16, 2010, 05:14:18 PM »
Hello all,

I am looking for a method to collect CO2 so that its volume can be measured.

There is the usual method, of course, of collecting CO2 over water, and finding the volume by the displacement of the water, but this leads to error due to CO2 solubility in water.

Is there a simple method to correct this?

Another method I have looked into is CO2 collection over oil. However, I have no figures to support the validity of this method.  Does anyone know the solubility of CO2 in oil at STP?

Thank you for your help.

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
Re: CO2 collection
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 10:55:09 AM »
Hello all,

I am looking for a method to collect CO2 so that its volume can be measured.

There is the usual method, of course, of collecting CO2 over water, and finding the volume by the displacement of the water, but this leads to error due to CO2 solubility in water.

Is there a simple method to correct this?

I'm not certain this is right, but here goes :

When you collect CO2 over water, if you could measure the pressure and temperature of the gas, then you can easily find out the moles of CO2 dissolved in water using Henry's law. Then you could convert moles to volume at that temperature and pressure. Finally add the volume calculated in this way and the volume of gas  (the gas that is above the water) measured
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Sponsored Links