April 24, 2024, 04:44:46 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What does this mean  (Read 4357 times)

Offline aeacfm

• Mole Snacks: +7/-2
What does this mean
« on: August 18, 2010, 08:11:40 AM »
a chemical reaction has  a standard electrode potential of a specific value as example

S4O6 2− + 2 e−  ::equil::2 S2O3 2−        eo= +0.08

theoritically 

i read some thing that when i has electrode of the material at standard conditins it will has the value of eo 

practically when i want to perform the above reaction what e0 refere to  ?

Offline aeacfm

Re: What does this mean
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 08:12:57 AM »
also does the sign has importance weither + or -

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 11:11:13 AM »
If you build a standard electrode based on this reaction (for example you dissolve in water salts with the anions required, with the activities equal to 1, 25ºC and so on), you put a platinum wire in your test tube and you connect it to a standard hydrogen electrode (based on the reduction H3O+/H2) which has a potential of 0.00 V (this is IUPAC convention), using a good voltmeter you'll see that between the two poles there's a potential difference of 0.08 V (the plus means that your electrode is a better oxidizer than the SHE, so the electron flux goes from the second one to the first one, try writing the half reactions to see what I mean).
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Offline aeacfm

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 11:31:58 AM »
ok thats very good , then when i make the cell reversibile (electrolytic cell ) what eO mean ?
is it - i require eO to perform such reaction- !!!!!!!

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 03:47:46 PM »
is it - i require eO to perform such reaction- !!!!!!!

I see you're easily excitable  ;D

Anyway yes and no: from a theoretical point of view we need at least E0 to perform an electrolysis with those compounds but in a real situation more complex factors have to be considered such as the supertensions or the potential drop caused by the cell...

Maybe if you tell us what information you need (="what do you want to do") we can be more specific and clear in our answers...
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Offline aeacfm

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 05:48:48 PM »
dear teo
thank you for your interest , i am not easily excited like you said but onl ywan tto learn (because of  disadvantages in arabs education)
what i wan to do is to make electrolysis to acis to convert it to other form (more reduced form) of it the oxidized from produced in wast water of our plant and specific method to remove it by that method i mentioned

many thanks again for your time

Sponsored Links