April 23, 2024, 08:56:50 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Alkaline Earth Metals & Electron Shielding  (Read 3155 times)

Offline bravoghost

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Alkaline Earth Metals & Electron Shielding
« on: August 12, 2010, 04:05:16 PM »
I just read in my chemistry book that the second electron in the 2s shell of alkaline earth metals mean that the Zeff is greater, this would mean that a second electron in the shell actually reduces the shielding? How is that possible? I thought that if a single electron in a subshell had a second electron added to its orbital, it would increase shielding and essentially weaken Zeff.

Offline opti384

• Mole Snacks: +33/-25
    • In the Search for the Laws of Nature
Re: Alkaline Earth Metals & Electron Shielding
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 03:44:30 AM »
I just read in my chemistry book that the second electron in the 2s shell of alkaline earth metals mean that the Zeff is greater, this would mean that a second electron in the shell actually reduces the shielding? How is that possible? I thought that if a single electron in a subshell had a second electron added to its orbital, it would increase shielding and essentially weaken Zeff.

Do you mean that the Zeff is greater than the that of the alkaline metals?

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
Re: Alkaline Earth Metals & Electron Shielding
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 06:40:44 AM »
Well, the electron added to the atom certainly gives a larger shielding to the positive charge of the nucleus, but there's also a positive charge added when you move from left to right in a period. Using Slater's rules we can easily see that with the increase of the atomic number the effective atomic number increases too (+0.35) but at the end of each period, due to the large shielding effect of the complete energetic level Zeff decreases abruptly...

Anyway the explanation given by your book (maybe you should tell us the actual words the authors used) isn't clear at all, I understand your confusion
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Sponsored Links