April 25, 2024, 08:22:11 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: EEI Reaction  (Read 3915 times)

Offline lukemat

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
EEI Reaction
« on: August 17, 2010, 02:11:08 AM »
Hey.
I need to choose a Reaction where I can tests the effects of a Catalyst, Temperature, Particle Size and Concentration.
I have currently chose the reaction between Sodium Thiosulfate and Iron (III) Nitrate, but as both of these are liquids, I am unsure of how to change the Particle Size?
What would be the perfect reaction for testing all four of these things?

Thanks alot.

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +41/-14
Re: EEI Reaction
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 02:56:25 AM »
Particle size, there are a few routes to go - involving kinetics or maybe just by introducing a membrane that only lets certain particles through based on their size. I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for though.

What do they want you to test with particle size??

Offline lukemat

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 03:14:12 AM »
I am fairly sure we just have to test the time it takes to react, then change the Temperature/Particle Size/Concentration or add a Catalyst and see the time difference.
I need to be able to change/add all these things to a reaction, and I am just not sure if the one I have chosen is the way to go.

Offline lukemat

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 07:03:41 PM »
Anyone?
I just need a reaction where I can test differences between the control reaction, then the same reaction where I add a catalyst, change the temperature, change the particle size and change the concentration.

Offline OrganicSynthesis

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 01:30:58 AM »
Maybe you could have one solution in a beaker (e.g.) and maybe spray a certain volume of the other solution into it. That way, you have droplets. The only problem is that you won't have an accurate way of saying "this is the particle size." Instead, it'll have to be things like "tiny," etc. For larger sizes, you could use apparati that spray with large droplets, and at the extremity, just pour the entire solution in at once.

Offline opti384

• Mole Snacks: +33/-25
    • In the Search for the Laws of Nature
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 03:21:00 AM »
What about the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide? It's a simple reaction, but it requires manganese dioxide as a catalyst. For the size of the particle, I think differing the size of manganese dioxide will do. In one case, we use a chunk a it, but in another we use powdered manganese dioxide instead.

Sponsored Links