April 20, 2024, 12:44:53 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: NO2 resonance structures, please help, please check, thanks  (Read 6900 times)

Offline numberrone

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
NO2 resonance structures, please help, please check, thanks
« on: September 09, 2010, 02:48:01 AM »
This question is confusing me (please look at the attachment), I dont know if they are asking for just NO2 resonance structures, or are they asking me to do NO2- and NO2+ as well. Please let me know what you think.

(a) Draw resonance contributors for the following species, showing all the lone pairs. (Copy and paste the given template as many times as necessary. Assign lone pairs, radical electrons, and atomic charges where appropriate.)

O-N-O
1-2-3

my answer:

[I have to draw it on MarvinSketch, but when I use "check structure" it says the 1 valence electron on N is a problem. I haven't submitted this so I'm not sure if its going to be right or not.]

NO2 (important): O==N+--O- and -O--N+==O (3 valence pair of electrons on O-, 2 valence pair of electrons on O, and 1 valence electron on N)
NO2 (not important): O--N==O and O==N--O (5 valence electrons on single-bonded O, 2 pairs of valence electrons on double-bonded O, 1 pair of valence electrons on N)

do i add

NO2-: -O--N==O and O==N--O- (3 valence pair of electrons on the O-, 2 valence pair of electrons on O, and 1 pair of valence electrons on N)

NO2+: O==N==O (2 pairs of valence electrons on each O) (unstable)

(b) Indicate the most stable resonance contributor. (If multiple resonance forms are equally stable, enter all forms.)

O==N+--O- and -O--N+==O

add: -O--N==O and O==N--O-

Sponsored Links