April 25, 2024, 05:05:31 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: can we produce diamond? how?  (Read 10539 times)

Mahmoudfel

can we produce diamond? how?
« on: August 21, 2005, 05:13:18 AM »
can we produce  diamond? how?

mohager

Re:can we produce diamond? how?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005, 07:41:07 AM »
sorry i dont no
i hop you can find your answer

are you arabic one????

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
AWK

Offline gregpawin

• Cradle Bandit
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-5
  • Ebichu chu chu chuses you!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 07:20:45 AM »
Yes we can.  Despite what de Beers might want, growing diamonds is the future.  Because its a great electrical insulator and at the same time a great thermal conductor, it makes the ultimate protective layer to separate circuits in semiconductors.

There are some people using a Russian developed method where diamonds are produced in a solvent.  There's the traditional, press real hard and hot on a chunk of coal method using diamond anvils.  And there's chemical vapor deposition, which seems to be a good contender for use in semiconductors.  There are other people out there trying real hard to make diamond, a formerly heavily monopolized commodity by de Beers, into a material for use other than jewelry.
I've got nothin'

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 11:20:03 AM »
In reality, diamonds are incredibly commonplace and very inexpensive.  The DeBeers cartel, however, is willing to do ANYTHING, including genocide if they have to, in order to falsey inflate the price of diamonds.   >:(
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline gregpawin

• Cradle Bandit
  • Chemist
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 12:26:55 AM »
In reality, whether something is expensive or not is determined by market forces.  Whether or not diamonds would have been inexpensive are not a part of the present reality because de Beers used to control a large majority of the supply of diamonds.  If anyone wanted to sell diamonds, they had to play by de Beers's rules, whether they thought they were fair or not.

In yesteryear, emeralds, rubies, and opals used to be the more sought after gems, however a tightening of the supply of diamonds by de Beers in addition to a marketing blitz started in the 1950s that started to establish the idea that a diamond was the only acceptable wedding gemstone.
I've got nothin'

shelanachium

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005, 04:53:27 PM »
I gather chemical vapour deposition to make diamond uses methane, but I have wondered if anyone has ever tried carbon suboxide C3O2, each molecule of which could in principle deposit one C atom on the growing diamond whilst ejecting two very stable CO molecules. I gather CH4-deposited diamond incorporates some H, adversely affecting its properties; C3O2 might give a cleaner product, and the reaction might work at lower temperatures.

Offline gregpawin

• Cradle Bandit
  • Chemist
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2005, 05:55:22 PM »
at the thicknesses and temperatures that these reactions probably work at, I assume hydrogen gas is produced which easily diffuses out.
I've got nothin'

Sponsored Links