April 26, 2024, 10:38:31 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: how to store oleic acid  (Read 4530 times)

Offline Pepper

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
how to store oleic acid
« on: September 21, 2010, 12:06:27 PM »
Hello!
Help me please in such question:
I received oleic acid for my synthesis (Aldrich). But I don't understand how to store it, because this acid is very air-sensitive. It is written on the bottle: store at 2-8°C, so I put it in a refrigerator.
In MSDS for oleic acid: "Keep container tightly closed. Keep container in a cool, well-ventilated area. Sensitive to light. Store in light-resistant containers. Air Sensitive"

So, what I really don't understand ???: how to avoid air when I take oleic acid from the bottle. (Probably I should fill the bottle with inert gas after using???)
The fact is I know that oleic acid is really very air-sensitive. Several months ago I bought oleic acid (in Russia). I received solid brown oleic acid (although its melting point is 16 °C and it has to be slightly yellow). So, as I understand after reading some books about oleic acid, this oleic acid was oxidized. It is not very stable.

SO, CAN YOU give me some advice how to work with oleic acid or similar air-sensitive substances to avoid their oxidation.

Thank you a lot!! ;)

Offline Grundalizer

• Mole Snacks: +19/-31
Re: how to store oleic acid
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 03:04:37 PM »
Some sources I have read says it oxidizes slowly, so opening the container to take whatever amount you need from the bottle, and then recapping it should be fine.  You might also try sealing it in a plastic zip-lock sandwich bag, or wrapping the cap with a couple pieces of para film to make sure there is a good seal on it.

Sponsored Links