April 25, 2024, 01:44:28 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Did I calculate this half reaction potential correctly?  (Read 4439 times)

Offline DutchGirl13

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Did I calculate this half reaction potential correctly?
« on: December 01, 2010, 08:55:31 PM »
For this problem, I am supposed to find Eo for the half reaction Pd(OH)2 +2e- ::equil::Pds +2OH- given that the Ksp for Pd(OH)2 is 3E-28 and Eo=0.915 V for the half reaction Pd2++2e- ::equil::Pd(s).
I put the Ksp and the n=2 in the Nernst equation and solved for Eo and got -0.8141 V. Next, I flipped the given half reaction to cancel the electrons and therefore changed the sign on the potential. Using the -0.8141 V for my cell voltage and -0.915 as my anode voltage, I calculated the voltage of the cathodic half reaction to be -1.73. This answer does not sit well with me. Is a negative answer okay? When I flip the known half reaction around, everything in it cancels with something in the unknown equation, and that did not happen in the sample problem we did in class. Have I done something wrong?

Offline Pradeep

• Mole Snacks: +5/-3
Re: Did I calculate this half reaction potential correctly?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 12:53:10 PM »
Yes. You have done a wrong calculation.

Offline FreeTheBee

• Mole Snacks: +12/-1
Re: Did I calculate this half reaction potential correctly?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 03:29:31 PM »
I don't think flipping and anodes are necessary. Try to write the Nernst equation for Pd2+  ::equil:: Pd(s)  and then modify it to take the given Ksp into account. Finally, think of how the standard potential is defined.

Sponsored Links