April 19, 2024, 08:36:26 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Poll

i cant figure out my summer packet!

help me!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Topic: HELP WITH STOICHIOMETRY PLEASE!!!  (Read 6653 times)

myalpineshines

HELP WITH STOICHIOMETRY PLEASE!!!
« on: August 27, 2005, 04:02:17 PM »
Hey i got this packet for AP chem and although i can do stoichiometry, i cant figure this out for the life of me!  The question reads as follows:
    " When sodium carbonate reacts with hydrochloric acid, the carbonic acid that is formed immediately breaks down into carbon dioxide and water.  What mass of sodium carbonate would have been originally present if 5.0 L of carbon dioxide was produced? (hint: molar volume of a gass is 22.414 L/mol)"
    Any help would be great!

Offline sdekivit

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-3
  • B.Sc Biomedical Sciences, Utrecht University
Re:HELP WITH STOICHIOMETRY PLEASE!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 04:05:27 PM »
Hey i got this packet for AP chem and although i can do stoichiometry, i cant figure this out for the life of me!  The question reads as follows:
    " When sodium carbonate reacts with hydrochloric acid, the carbonic acid that is formed immediately breaks down into carbon dioxide and water.  What mass of sodium carbonate would have been originally present if 5.0 L of carbon dioxide was produced? (hint: molar volume of a gass is 22.414 L/mol)"
    Any help would be great!

the first and most important thing to do: get your reaction equation. Then use the molar volume of a gas at T = 298 K eand p = p0 to find the amount of mols CO2 produced. This will help you further.

edit: the question says you need to use 22,4 L/mol.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 04:06:06 PM by sdekivit »

myalpineshines

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 04:10:24 PM »
Thanks!
Why is the gass at T = 198 K, I just figured to put it at STP if it wasnt otherwise specified.
And when getting my chem equation, The Na3CO4+HCl yields NaCl+H3CO4....if the carbonic acid breaks down do i just scratch the H3CO4 and put it as CO2+H20?

Offline sdekivit

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-3
  • B.Sc Biomedical Sciences, Utrecht University
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 04:18:58 PM »
Thanks!
Why is the gass at T = 198 K, I just figured to put it at STP if it wasnt otherwise specified.
And when getting my chem equation, The Na3CO4+HCl yields NaCl+H3CO4....if the carbonic acid breaks down do i just scratch the H3CO4 and put it as CO2+H20?

i commonly use the molar volume for gasses at room temperature, thus T = 298 K and p = 1 bar (thus at SATP). At STP the molar volume is 22,4 L/mol but the gas is assumed to be ideal.

sodiumcarbonate is Na2CO3 by the way, resulting in H2CO3 and NaCl. As you probably know H2CO3 is unstable and falls apart in CO2 and H2O.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 04:23:42 PM by sdekivit »

Sponsored Links