April 25, 2024, 09:18:38 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Concentration and ppmv  (Read 3596 times)

Offline rk883

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Concentration and ppmv
« on: October 28, 2010, 11:08:34 PM »
This homework problem was assigned a few days ago, I've been racking my brains but I still don't have an answer :'(, whats worse is the tutoring dept was less than useless, I was hoping someone here would be kind enough to show me how to get the answer. Specifically what the logic behind it is, so far I've figured that I should multiply the volume by .001 and that would be the desired concentration but I don't know if I'm on the right path.

"The running engine of an automobile produces carbon monoxide (CO), a toxic gas, at the rate of about 188 g CO per hour. A car is left idling in a poorly ventilated garage that is 5.3 m long, 4.0 m wide, and 2.2 m high at 20°C.

How long would it take to build up a lethal concentration of CO of 1000 ppmv (parts per million by volume)?"

Thanks.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Concentration and ppmv
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 03:35:07 AM »
What is garage volume? What is volume of CO after its concentration reached 1000 ppm v/v? Number of moles of CO? Mass of CO? How many hours to produce this mass?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links