March 18, 2024, 11:55:52 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: pKa and determining basicity  (Read 5818 times)

Offline bonkers

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
pKa and determining basicity
« on: October 30, 2010, 05:43:01 PM »
Hi,

I had this question when I had to solve a problem where one point was which is more basic carboxylate anion or amino group. The pKa-s are 36 for amino and 3.7 for HCOOH, but one of the value is for NH3 and other for HCOOH, how to i get for HCOO-

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
Re: pKa and determining basicity
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 12:49:09 PM »
Well, pKa's will determine which one of them is the stronger acid... Now, what do you know about conjugate acid-base pair??
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline bonkers

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 03:07:01 AM »
Well, pKa's will determine which one of them is the stronger acid... Now, what do you know about conjugate acid-base pair??
The stronger the acid the weaker it´s conjugated base. But i want to know how to compare if the conjugated base is stronger base than the other acid which is actually a base.

Offline rabolisk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +45/-25
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 03:40:12 PM »
You're trying to compare whether HCOO- or NH3 is a stronger base. Of the data you gave us, only one is helpful, and the other is useless. You need something else.

Offline bonkers

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 05:34:15 PM »
The question arose from the following exercise:
Proteins are built up from units called amino acids. The simplest amino acid is glycine, the structure of which can be written in two ways: One has NH3+ and COO- in the molecule and other NH2 and COOH.
a) consult the table of pKa values and decide which is the better representation of the structure of the compound. (Hint: Which is more basic, an amino group or carboxylate anion?)
The exercise is from Seyhan Ege´s Organic chemistry. Sadly i don´t have the study guide and can´t find it anywhere.

Offline rabolisk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +45/-25
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 11:38:05 PM »
To anyone who has studied amino acids in organic chemistry or biochemistry, the answer is simple. Regardless, look for the relevant pKa values in the table, and you should be able to solve the problem. Remember that pKa of an acid and pKb of its conjugate base add up to 14.

Sponsored Links