Specialty Chemistry Forums > Citizen Chemist

Electrolysis of NaCl solution

(1/5) > >>

vmelkon:
I'm sure everyone has done this. I'm using 12 V. I would like to collect the Cl2 so I'm using a graphite anode. I also tried with silicon and it works but since it is not the right shape, I am using a graphite rod instead.

My question is, do you really get Cl2 as a gas or does it dissolve in water? Does oxygen get produced?
I am getting bubbles but I don't know if it is Cl2 gas. I would have to wait a long time to collect enough to see the green color.

I know that there are faster methods to make Cl2. Not interested in them.

Grundalizer:
No matter how hard you try, you cannot get chlorine gas from the electrolysis of aqueous sodium chloride (NaCl).  You will get Hydrogen and Oxygen gas. 

If you want O2 gas it's much easier to just take apart an alkaline battery and extract the black manganese dioxide, then add store bought hydrogen peroxide.  Oxygen gas will bubble out which you can then use to make things burn more brightly, which is pretty cool.

Why do you want chlorine gas anyway?  Breathing that stuff in will instantly destroy your lungs

vmelkon:
But it is clear that chlorine is getting formed because the solution smells but perhaps it stays dissolved in the solution. There is also 1 mL of gas collected.
It's for another experiment. I won't be next to it.

Borek:
You are getting mixture of chlorine and oxygen, but it is mostly oxygen.

Grundalizer:
If you want to make chlorine gas a lot easier go to the local hardware store and buy some Muriatic acid (Hydrochloric acid) which I think is ~30% concentration.  It should only be $8 or so.

Then take apart an alkaline battery and take out the black manganese dioxide like I had mentioned above.

Manganese dioxide catalyzes the decomposition of HCl into Chlorine gas and water.  You will need to add a little heat, but it produces a lot more than the electrolysis of salt water.

I'm sure you know chlorine can kill you if you inhale too much as it will eat your lungs and you'll drown in bodily fluids.  Good luck, may the science be with you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version