April 27, 2024, 12:38:17 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Isolation of trehalulose from whitefly honeydew  (Read 5651 times)

Offline Simone

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Isolation of trehalulose from whitefly honeydew
« on: November 03, 2010, 08:15:13 PM »
Hi everyone,
I am an entomologist but I have been given the task to find a way of isolating the sugar trehalulose from whitefly honeydew, which consists of a mixture of different types of sugar. I cannot find a supplier of trehalulose on the internet and we need to use pure trehalulose to make up analytical standards to help us study the degradation of whitefly honeydew on cotton bolls in the field. My chemistry knowledge is rather basic so I am not sure where to start. Could someone please give me some advice and point me in the right direction?
I could wash off whitefly honeydew from heavily contaminated leaves and have it in a dilution but
What techniques are used to separate sugars? How complicated? How expensive?
How could I purify isolated trehalulose?
Are there any labs in Australia that separate sugars?
Thank you for your consideration.
Regards,
Simone

Offline Charkol

Re: Isolation of trehalulose from whitefly honeydew
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 11:50:22 AM »
There are ways to separate different sugars using charcoal filters and different acids like ascorbic acid and alcohol, obviously with different steps. 

Mostly this is something done in the analytical front of chemistry.  There is a board for this on this forum. 

As for this particular sugar, I don't know, I am a sophomore chem student.

Offline OC pro

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +36/-15
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 12:57:44 PM »
You can separate this sugar mixture using an HPLC (forget about somewhat charcoal filters   8). We are currently working on a related problem.
If you need small amounts of pure trehalulose, you can buy it. There are two companies world-wide which offer small amounts of trehalulose (according to ACD database which lists most of the commercial chemicals available). I cannot provide you the actual price, you have to inquire the companies simply via email. I assume maximum 1000 Dollar for 10-20mg which should be enough when you only need it as a reference compound.

Here you go:

Sinochem, catalogue number SP 184649
Youchem, catalogue number Y197381

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 03:38:18 PM »
Mostly this is something done in the analytical front of chemistry.  There is a board for this on this forum.

This was originally posted in Analytical forum, I have moved it here, I guess it will get much better answers here than there. After all if memory serves me well we have someone specializing in carbohydrates.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Simone

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 08:41:29 PM »
Hi everyone,
thank you for your suggestions . Unfortunately, we do not have the facilities or skills to produce our own trehalulose. After checking out the companies OC  pro suggested I have combed the Internet further for a supplier and just wanted to update you on where I am with this search for trehalulose.
In Chinese, the characters for trehalulose are the same as those for TREHALOSE. There is only one research paper on the Internet that distinguishes between the two sugars in its characters as both are listed as components of whitefly honeydew. We have approached the suggested companies (Sinochem and Youchem) with that ( through one of our Chinese colleagues) but neither company was able to supply trehalulose, only trehalose. After getting no replies from Suedzucker AG in Germany, I finally found a supplier in Japan, the Mitsui Seitou Sugar Company, who could supply 75% trehalulose.
Regards,
Simone

Offline Simone

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 10:28:14 PM »
Hi Miss Phosgene,
I am unable to send messages through this forum. Nobody has any listed pricing for trehalulose but Mitsui has kindly provided us with a free sample for research purposes.
Regards,
Simone

Offline Jenw0811

• Very New Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 01:27:23 PM »
Hello, how were you able to contact the Mitsui sugar company? I cannot find their contact information. I too am doing research with Trehalulose and cannot find where to purchase it. Thanks for your time.

Sponsored Links