April 24, 2024, 11:46:23 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Cleaning up 6N HCL and 50% Acetic Acid  (Read 5682 times)

Offline MirandaMLT

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Cleaning up 6N HCL and 50% Acetic Acid
« on: November 19, 2010, 03:51:16 AM »
Hello and thank you for having this forum.

I can not seem to find any definitive information about clean up procedures for these two chemicals.  Assuming they were spilled outside of a fume hood, would a respirator be needed?  I know that in labeling a containter of diluted acid, you have to use the NFPA diamond information for the concentrated substance.  Does this also apply to clean up?  If we dropped a large glass jar (1 liter) of reagent grade (38%) HCL and it broke, we would be evacuating our laboratory.  If it were only say, 250 mL of 6N (19%) HcL how volatile would that really be?

Offline Nicolas88

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
Re: Cleaning up 6N HCL and 50% Acetic Acid
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 05:28:11 AM »
Since it was spilled out side the fume hood then you will need (in all concentrations listed above) to cover your nose cause its harmful to smell ,then clean it using lots of water ( to dilute it )..

Offline Fluorine

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-5
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 05:44:27 AM »
Nicolas why not just neutralize it with NaOH instead of diluting it with water?
I'm still learning - always check my work/answer.

"curse Pierre Jules César Janssen!"

Offline rjb

• Mole Snacks: +17/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 06:11:19 AM »
Miranda,

Most sources are deliberately vague around the need for respirators in spillage situations. In theory, respirators really need only be worn if the airborne exposure limit of your chemical is exceeded, which is something virtually impossible to ascertain immediately after a breakage. For this reason, in theory at least, you would need to wear a respirator during clean-up.

Common sense and pragmatism would tend to indicate an alternative course of action which is (in the cases of 6N HCL and EtCOOH)... forget the respirator, get everyone away from the spillage, open the windows and get the stuff neutralised with Soda Ash/Lime, absorb with vermiculite, commercial spillage kit or similar... Job done...

Kind Regards

R

« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 06:32:26 AM by rjb »

Offline Nicolas88

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 06:29:13 AM »
Nicolas why not just neutralize it with NaOH instead of diluting it with water?

I don't think its necessary , once i spilled 10M HCl and i just cleaned it using water and everything went fine :D

Offline crosemeyer

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 02:02:13 PM »
DO NOT use a strong base to neutralize an acid spill (or vice-versa).  Use baking soda.

Sponsored Links