April 25, 2024, 05:07:06 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Overview of glassware/equipment  (Read 6545 times)

Offline Fluorine

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-5
Overview of glassware/equipment
« on: December 02, 2010, 05:43:55 AM »
Hello I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a website or book that covers purpose and "how-to" of various glassware pieces in chemistry. I'm looking for a general overview of many rather than the specific of a few. I've never found such info in my chemistry books and refuse to accept "wait until you use in lab" as an answer because it is costing me opportunities I deserve.

I have fundamental glassware understanding (beakers, flasks, etc.) and minimal with the more intricate ones.
I'm still learning - always check my work/answer.

"curse Pierre Jules César Janssen!"

Offline rjb

• Mole Snacks: +17/-0
Re: Overview of glassware/equipment
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 06:45:27 AM »
Fluorine,

You can't go far wrong with a copy of Vogel's "Textbook of practical organic chemistry". It describes that various types of glassware and equipment commonly used in organic/general chemistry and show how various set-ups should be assembled... Very very good!

As a nice starter, the following link is the Royal Society of Chemistry's interactive lab primer http://www.chem-ilp.net/index.htm designed for students with little experience of practical chemistry. It describes simple apparatus, assembly and practical application. The Lab Techniques section is very good...

Kind Regards

R

Offline Fluorine

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-5
Re: Overview of glassware/equipment
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 07:00:48 AM »
The interactive one is amazing, I appreciate it! I will check the book within the next few days (via google or library).
I'm still learning - always check my work/answer.

"curse Pierre Jules César Janssen!"

Sponsored Links