March 29, 2024, 10:27:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Aniline Oxidation  (Read 15184 times)

cupid.callin

Aniline Oxidation
« on: December 02, 2010, 04:11:20 PM »
Please tell me what will be the result of oxidation of Aniline with ...
a) CF3COOH
b) KMnO4 / H+
c) V2O5, if it is oxidizing agent, well i guess it is.

And also tell why P2O5 is dehydrating agent and V2O5 oxidizing.

2 Snacks for best answer  :)

Offline MOTOBALL

• Mole Snacks: +50/-5
Re: Aniline Oxidation
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 08:27:22 AM »
I know that chemistry can be tricky, however...

1) Please read the Forum rules----guidance, but not answers are provided to homework questions.

2) This is the "Graduate Student and Professionals" Forum; if you can't even be bothered to open inorganic & organic chem. textbooks or search on-line, you should not be in grad. school.

Have I missed something ?

cupid.callin

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 09:29:07 AM »
yOU DONT HAVE TO BE ANGRY ABOUT THAT.

i asked it because i am confused whick one only oxidize NH2 group and which one oxidize ring as well. If you get this kind of crazy homework, then you might consider changing your college.

Offline MOTOBALL

• Mole Snacks: +50/-5
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 05:01:33 PM »
I must say that I am not angry at your apparent lack of initiative, disappointed maybe, but not angry. 

As I said, chemistry is tricky and I don't know the product(s) of oxidation of aniline with KMnO4 & V2O5 off the top of my head either.

None of us is born knowing this stuff, but we do have to study to learn it; "crazy homework" is put together by a prof. whose purpose is to make you think your way through questions, or at the very least hit the books to get the basics.

You need to search (in general) oxidizing agents in org. chem. and more specifically, oxidations with V2O5/KMnO4.

I'm not aware that trifluoroacetic acid (CF3COOH) is an oxidizing agent.

P.S. Do I get at least HALF a snack now ??

cupid.callin

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 07:04:46 AM »
My mistake ... its not CF3COOH .. its actually CF3COOOH ... its a peroxide bond!!!

And i did searched internet but wasnt satisfied with the results ... no results of V2O5 oxidation. And the result with KMnO4 was given without mechanism ... which wasn't what i expected,,, so i doubt if its correct !!!

The result (1-4 benzoquinone) that i expected with KMno4 was given with chromic acid i.e. O2Cr(OH)2

cupid.callin

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 02:57:45 PM »
Any Answers Please???

Offline AndersHoveland

• Mole Snacks: +7/-3
    • energericscribble (my other site is "energeticchemical")
Aniline Oxidation
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 06:37:24 PM »
Oxidation of analine (with peroxide or dichromate) yields nitrobenzene, azobenzene, or even some nitrosobenzene, depending on reactant ratios.

I cannot find the reference now, but I remember reading that an investigation into the reaction of phenylhydrazine with nitrsosobenzene revealed that (H5C5)N=N(C6H5) formed. A subsequent investigation (by different researchers) also found diphenylamine and (H5C5)N=N(O)--(C6H5) (with a central azoxy group) among the products. I cannot remember all the details, but I think the oxidizers tested were acidified dichromate and H2O2.

Offline MissPhosgene

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +23/-5
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 12:33:26 PM »
I must say that I am not angry at your apparent lack of initiative, disappointed maybe, but not angry. 

Is there a purpose to be so condescending?
Stereograms of the 32 crystallographic point groups: little bike wheels of cold, hard, pure rationality.

Sponsored Links