April 24, 2024, 10:39:29 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: where can i find "thynol chloride"?  (Read 8931 times)

boyardee

where can i find "thynol chloride"?
« on: October 02, 2005, 10:32:04 PM »
man i cant seem to find this chemical anywhere?
any suggestions?

Offline Dude

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +42/-9
  • I'm a mole!
Re:where can i find "thynol chloride"?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 11:57:58 AM »
Never heard of Thynol chloride.  If you are trying to make an acid chloride from a carboxylic acid, you probably need to look for Thionyl chloride (check Sigma Aldrich).  The only other possibility would be vinyl chloride if you got the message from someone with a cold.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 03:29:14 PM »
Good luck getting it--it's DEA listed because it's used for drug making (which may or may not be your purpose...)

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 06:03:28 AM »
hmx9123
Where do you get your information? I did not know that DEA was interested in batteries. Maybe it is the CWC issue.

--- On the Internet ---

Sonnenschein lithium Thionyl chloride batteries for applications that require a lightweight power source to provide a safe and reliable performance over a wide range of environmental conditions, for long periods of time.

---Elsewhere on Internet---

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thionyl_chloride

Industrial production of thionyl chloride is controlled under the Chemical Weapons Convention, where it is listed in schedule 3.

---------------------------

Looks more like it can be used as a weapon than a drug

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 04:09:06 PM »
I am referring to 'Thionyl Chloride', which I assume is that the original poster refers to.  It is probably the same thing as the batteries, although the batteries undoubtedly do not have it in pure form, thus it is not listed.  The reason I know it is listed is that when I ordered it from Aldrich a few years back, we had to sign a waiver saying we weren't going to make drugs with it.  No, that is not standard practice.  It only happens with certain chemicals, like piperadine, etc.  And yes, thionyl chloride is probably controlled for various other reasons, too.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 04:10:14 PM by hmx9123 »

Sponsored Links