March 28, 2024, 06:21:35 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Making Sulfuric Acid  (Read 33231 times)

lordofdarkness

Making Sulfuric Acid
« on: September 02, 2005, 06:27:10 AM »
Hello
Is there a way to make sufuric acid?
You can Get Sulfur and Hydrogen but i dont know what do after

asqa

Re:Making Sulfuric Acid
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 07:20:32 AM »
hydrogen is not needed for making sulphuric acid.First you have to make sulphur tri oxide then pass the gas in water then you will get sulphuric acid

mr rocket

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 09:36:20 PM »
"hydrogen is not needed for making sulphuric acid.First you have to make sulphur tri oxide then pass the gas in water then you will get sulphuric acid"

great to know... now how do you make that? (knew i shoulda paid more attention to chemistry then physics)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 09:38:44 PM by mr rocket »

Taaie-Neuskoek

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 11:22:08 AM »
hydrogen is not needed for making sulphuric acid.First you have to make sulphur tri oxide then pass the gas in water then you will get sulphuric acid

Adding SO3 to water will result in an explosion, where the experimentor will be showered with hot sulphuric acid.
Instead, SO3 mucht be bubbled through conc H2SO4 to yield oleum, which can diluted with water to yield conc H2SO4.
Making SO3 is not easy, you can burn sulphur to yield SO2, let it react with a katalyst as V2O5 or Pt to SO3, but those processes are not easy, and will ask a lot of experiments. On sciencemadness there is a lot of info on this subject.
One of the possibilities is to burn xNO3 and S in a lead pot, yielding NO2 and SO2, where SO2 is oxidised to SO3 by the NO2, this can be done in a closed big pot, and is called the 'lead chamber process'. I've tried this myself, but I didn't yield anything. Be carefull though, NO2 is a very, very strong toxin, I've had a close encounter with it but I can not recommend it, it is really nasty s#*$ and you only have one pair of lungs!

There btw are way to dehydrate H2SO4 to SO3, but if you goal is making H2SO4 that is a bit useless...

mr rocket

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 12:59:01 AM »
NO2   = NOS to racers or nitrus oxide not so nasty  put it in your car and you become a mr rocket too lol  breathe it and you'l laugh till you  pass out (bored moments between exams) and from my experience with bubling gases through liquids explosions usaly result when the lid is on to tight adequit ventilation should solve that problem process seems simple h20=water h2so4=sulfuric acid so add a sulfer atom and 2 more oxygen atoms and your good to go course i could be wrong my chem professor was a dolt.  and btw if making sulfuric acid is so dificult how does nature manage to do it in lakes that are too close to thermal vents. i'll try it at some point let you know how it turns out...  

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 01:43:44 AM »
Mr Rocket; be careful not to confuse NO2 and N2O!

N2O is nitrous oxide or NOS (also laughing gas)

NO2 is nitrogen dioxide, a poison!
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline woelen

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +40/-2
  • The art of wondering makes life worth living...
    • Science made alive
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 03:07:34 AM »
NO2   = NOS to racers or nitrus oxide not so nasty  put it in your car and you become a mr rocket too lol  breathe it and you'l laugh till you  pass out (bored moments between exams) and from my experience with bubling gases through liquids explosions usaly result when the lid is on to tight adequit ventilation should solve that problem process seems simple h20=water h2so4=sulfuric acid so add a sulfer atom and 2 more oxygen atoms and your good to go course i could be wrong my chem professor was a dolt.  and btw if making sulfuric acid is so dificult how does nature manage to do it in lakes that are too close to thermal vents. i'll try it at some point let you know how it turns out...  
If you don't know anything of the subject, then please do not act as if you are the expert >:(

Making H2SO4 is REALLY difficult for the amateur chemist.

What you are referring at is that SO2 is converted to H2SO4 by aerial oxidation and addition of water, when SO2 is released into nature. This is a slow process and the H2SO4 produced is just at the ppm-level of concentrations.

It becomes a whole different thing if you want to make H2SO4 at concentrations near 100%. You need to work with very high-temperature reactions and incredibly corrosive chemicals (especially at the temperatures involved).

The compound SO3 just is INCREDIBLY corrosive. Concentrated H2SO4 already is very corrosive and chars your skin within a few minutes (seconds if hot), but compared to SO3, concentrated H2SO4 is just a child's toy. If you ever happen to get a small sample of SO3 on your skin, then you would not write such silly posts anymore. It will instantly blow a hole in your skin on contact and it does not even need to be hot for that.

A possible way of making H2SO4 from scratch could be to burn sulphur and bubbling the resulting SO2 (mixed with air) through water with some H2O2 in it. Even that is is process, which I'm quite sure you will not manage to achieve.
Want to wonder? See http://www.oelen.net/science

mr rocket

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 07:41:57 PM »
ahem i nevr claimed to be a chemical expert and as i said my chem professor was a dolt my maijor was physics and i sucesfuly got the thread rolling which was my goal. you real chemists have told me what i needed to know so thanks.

and those low conentrations will work fine for me you can increase its concentration later and by safer means not that i really need to the point is it can be done and you guys said  how to do it thanks.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2005, 07:47:29 PM by mr rocket »

paperclip

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2005, 10:30:18 PM »
dehydrate H2SO4 to H2SO4 crystlas? How impossible is that?

mr rocket

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005, 10:37:51 PM »
boiling = gas then rapidly freeze gas and you should theoreticly get crystals it works with picric acid not so sure bout sulfuric but its a start maybe...

Offline science2000

• Mole Snacks: +5/-5
  • Bio/Chem Student
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 12:05:17 AM »
Isn't it possible to decompose Ammonium Sulfate (at 280 C) and end up with sulfuric acid? Or at least SO3?

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 03:54:22 AM »
I found the below URL to be very informative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfuric_Acid

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2005, 11:34:50 AM »
boiling = gas then rapidly freeze gas and you should theoreticly get crystals it works with picric acid not so sure bout sulfuric but its a start maybe...

Picric acid is a somewhat high molecular weight organic acid.  By default it is a crystal at room temperature and pressures.  Sulfuric acid is a 'mineral acid' and is a liquid in its pure form and standard temperature and pressure.  'Boiling sulfuric acid and rapidly freezing it' won't form crystals.  Sulfuric acid is not a crystalline compound.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Taaie-Neuskoek

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2005, 06:45:48 PM »
NO2   = NOS to racers or nitrus oxide not so nasty  put it in your car and you become a mr rocket too lol
breathe it and you'l laugh till you  pass out (bored moments between exams) and from my experience with bubling gases through liquids explosions usaly result when the lid is on to tight adequit ventilation should solve that problem process seems simple h20=water h2so4=sulfuric acid so add a sulfer atom and 2 more oxygen atoms and your good to go course i could be wrong my chem professor was a dolt.  and btw if making sulfuric acid is so dificult how does nature manage to do it in lakes that are too close to thermal vents. i'll try it at some point let you know how it turns out...  

Indeed, if you breathe NO2 for long enough you'll be in a cascet within 48h. Please look out with NO2. Seriously, it is NOT pleasent, and I have probably lung damage from an experiment where I only got a little bit! Do not play with you life, it is not worth it!
To make H2SO4 you should first get a proper source of SO2, then find a suitable catalyst, and an apparatus whis is resistant to hot SO3. Also take in mind that the catalyst should not be allowed over 450°C, because then the SO3 gets reducted to SO2... to temperature control of the catalyst is also important.

mr rocket

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2005, 12:04:36 AM »
i realized that the next day i misplaced a 2 so yeah by all means disregaurd my preveious post simply put, opened mouth and inserted foot.  as far as oxidising what do you supose would happen if you bubled realy cold (like -240 c) so2 through liquid o2 or better yet just burned straight sulfur in a presurized container filled with o3 (ozone if i remember correctly) i have accsess to both and a pretty advanced lab thanks to my govmnt grants. always looking for new pointlely complicated way of doing things...

and by the way if civilies need some of these nifty compounds

http://unitednuclear.com/chem.htm
lots of good stuff there like pure sulfur and v2o5 and my fav d2o

? isn't so2 the same stuff used to make match heads or am i putting the 2 in the wrong place again
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 10:26:32 AM by mr rocket »

Sponsored Links