April 20, 2024, 12:19:03 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Nuclear Radiations  (Read 4743 times)

Offline orgstudy

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
Nuclear Radiations
« on: December 21, 2010, 04:44:30 PM »
I have some doubts regarding nucleus

First,
what is the difference in cathode ray and beta ray, if any. and is it possible to differentiate between the two when both are travelling in space?

second,
In beta minus decay(electron) decay, where does the electron go? coz if it is transmitted as a part of a beam then the atom will get positively charged. but that doesnt really happen, right? and also beta ray is transmitted, so how is the charge balanced?

third,

I got a ques in class test that for neucleus with A>100
a) binding energy dec oan an average with inc in A
b) binding energy per neucleon dec on an average with inc in A

ans was that only b is right, why not a?? does this has something to do with "on an average" ??

Thanks!!!
Chemistry is a subject in which even the Professor can get confused at any time.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Nuclear Radiations
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 06:11:22 PM »
Please use plain English in your posts.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline orgstudy

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 04:56:53 AM »
OK i improved my post

I have some doubts regarding nucleus

First,
What is the difference in cathode ray and beta ray, if any. And is it possible to differentiate between the two when both are travelling in space?

Second,
In beta minus decay, where does the electron go, because if it is transmitted as a part of a beam then the atom will get positively charged? But that doesn’t really happen, right? And also beta ray is transmitted, so how is the charge balanced?

Third,

I got a question in class test …
For nucleus with Atomic Mass>100
a) binding energy decrease on an average with increase in Atomic Mass.
b) binding energy per nucleon decrease on an average with increase in Atomic Mass.

Answer was that “only b is right”, why not a?? Does this have something to do with "on an average”??
Chemistry is a subject in which even the Professor can get confused at any time.

Offline orgstudy

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 03:58:42 PM »
Ummm ... Reply Anyone????

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 03:40:22 PM »
Only the origin differs, so if you manage to produce them identical, you can't tell them.

The beta electron goes some µm away in a solid, leaving one proton more behind (and one neutron less). The positive charge will move within the solid, the electron as well, and you may expect both to neutralize after a limited time.

With a special construction, it is a way to produce electricity. Difficult to build, and less efficient than competing methods up to now, but some prototypes were made long ago.

Mean binding energy:
- If b, then not a, as they are opposite.
- Electric repulsion increases faster than the strong force. Over 100 baryons, more baryons decrease stability. Beyond lead, no nuclide is stable, though 238U and 232Th last for billions of years.
- "On average" because nobody on Earth knows it better. The proper theory has still to be found.

Offline jeffrey.struss

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 12:11:38 AM »
He is 100% correct.

Electron moves off into until it finally gets captured by an atom giving that atom a negative charge. Meanwhile the original atom now has a positive charge on that atom, which then steals an atom from an adjacent atom, which is now positive charged which steals one from another adjacent atom until finally the positive charge and negative charge meet. This often happens almost instantaneously. On the surface of things, the material never appreciably changes its overall charge.

Offline orgstudy

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 01:05:12 PM »
Thank you guys for your *delete me*!!
I understood first and second
but i still didn't understood third!!!
Please can you help me out??

And (for second) if an isolated atom emist a beta particle, it will become positive charged, right?

Sponsored Links