April 16, 2024, 09:05:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: which chemical makes a human being deep sleepy for some hours?  (Read 107008 times)

ashu_seo

which chemical makes a human being deep sleepy for some hours?
« on: December 29, 2010, 11:38:33 AM »
Hi guys,

do you know which chemical makes a human being deep sleepy for some hours when someone smell it?

Thanks

Offline orgstudy

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
Re: which chemical makes a human being deep sleepy for some hours?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 03:40:49 PM »
I guess chloroform (CHCl3)

Read this (from wikipedia):

Chloroform was once a popular anesthetic; its vapor depresses the central nervous system of a patient, allowing a doctor to perform various otherwise painful procedures. In 1847, the Scottish obstetrician James Young Simpson first used chloroform for general anesthesia during childbirth. The use of chloroform during surgery expanded rapidly thereafter in Europe. In the United States, chloroform began to replace ether as an anesthetic at the beginning of the 20th century; however, it was quickly abandoned in favor of ether upon discovery of its toxicity, especially its tendency to cause fatal cardiac arrhythmia analogous to what is now termed "sudden sniffer's death". Ether is still the preferred anesthetic in some developing nations due to its high therapeutic index (~1.5–2.2) [17] and low price. One possible mechanism of action for chloroform is that it increases movement of potassium ions through certain types of potassium channels in nerve cells.[18] Chloroform could also be mixed with other anaesthetic agents such as ether to make C.E. mixture, or ether and alcohol to make A.C.E. mixture.
Chemistry is a subject in which even the Professor can get confused at any time.

Offline Fluorine

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-5
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 10:43:48 PM »
What is your intention? Your question implies, essentially, 'drugging' regardless of reasoning. On the other hand if you want to learn about sedatives, hypnotics, anesthetics and/or biochemistry involved in sleep promotion/sleep then I suggest re-wording your question.

To answer your question fentanyl analogues (see; Unexpected “gas” casualties in Moscow: A medical toxicology perspective) would be ideal however it's less than unlikely you would be able to a) safely produce or b) safely posses and dose it. By the way, chloroform is a carcinogen if I recall correctly.
I'm still learning - always check my work/answer.

"curse Pierre Jules César Janssen!"

Offline orgstudy

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 03:24:47 AM »
I don't know if chloroform is carcinogen or not,
but i have personally used chloroform and i do make someone sleep for a few hours,
Chemistry is a subject in which even the Professor can get confused at any time.

Offline Fluorine

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-5
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 07:04:01 AM »
@Orgstudy
I am recalling incorrectly then. I tried looking it up but kept hitting a lot of 'uncertain research' to it's carcinogenic extent and outdated toxicological studies.

@Ashu_seo
There are tons of compounds that can be used if put into an atomizer or aerosol container. Technically they would not be gaseous however they are capable of being inhaled. Here's a list for more of them; inhalational anaesthetic.

If you clarify your question's intention I'd be glad to help you specifically - assuming it is legal.
I'm still learning - always check my work/answer.

"curse Pierre Jules César Janssen!"

ashu_seo

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 10:00:01 AM »
how u found choloroform?

I don't know if chloroform is carcinogen or not,
but i have personally used chloroform and i do make someone sleep for a few hours,

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 02:41:57 PM »
ashu_seo

i think you are going to have to tell use what you are using it for
before you get more answers

Offline orgstudy

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 03:06:25 PM »
@ ashu_seo

It was in our school lab. Teacher was out and we had like 3hrs left of lab time. we opened the almirah students are never allowed to open until teacher asks them. it contained lots of bottles of chemicals unknown to us at that time, a small cylinder used for azotherapy, some reports. the only chemical we recognized was chloroform.
we didnt knew that it is anesthetic so we just opened it and my friend smelled for a while and fell asleep. Lucky that teacher came quite late and by then he was awake again!!!!

ashu_seo

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 01:53:36 PM »
my intension is to make deep asleep someone by smelling or inhalling chemicals for some hours, can give me any solution ?

What is your intention? Your question implies, essentially, 'drugging' regardless of reasoning. On the other hand if you want to learn about sedatives, hypnotics, anesthetics and/or biochemistry involved in sleep promotion/sleep then I suggest re-wording your question.

To answer your question fentanyl analogues (see; Unexpected “gas” casualties in Moscow: A medical toxicology perspective) would be ideal however it's less than unlikely you would be able to a) safely produce or b) safely posses and dose it. By the way, chloroform is a carcinogen if I recall correctly.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 01:58:23 PM »
my intension is to make deep asleep someone by smelling or inhalling chemicals for some hours, can give me any solution ?

No. It doesn't sound legal.

Topic locked.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links