April 18, 2024, 05:01:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: KOH solution pH control  (Read 5131 times)

Offline Henderson-Hasselbalch

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
KOH solution pH control
« on: February 03, 2011, 05:03:38 AM »
My research for my internship involves hydroxylapatite and potential adsorption. Anywho, the other day I was making a diluted solution of KOH from a 0.05 mol L-1 stock solution. From my calculations, which where checked, the pH should've been around 9.5. However, when I stuck the electrode of the pH meter in the solution it read 7.4! The temperature was around 25oC and I was using MilliQ water. Why is this? Could CO2 being dissolved cause such a difference?

PS: I realise I could control the pH with a buffer but in the context of the experiment it would possibly cause interations.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: KOH solution pH control
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 08:10:43 AM »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Henderson-Hasselbalch

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 06:12:16 PM »
Have you calibrated the electrode?

I haven't but a PhD student did about a weak ago. I assume that's ok for a pH meter used only a few times each day? It gives pH values for my acidic solutions very close to my calculated pH.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 06:48:28 PM »
It can be not enough. And if you are measuring 0.05M base pH it should be calibrated using 7 & 10 buffers.

At the same time I did some rough estimates and it seems to me carbon dioxide can be able to lower pH by two units. Try to add a pinch of NaCl to your MilliQ water and measure its pH.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline DevaDevil

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +55/-9
  • postdoc at ANL
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 02:08:13 PM »
I know from experience that milliQ water has a pH of about 5 due to dissolved CO2

Sponsored Links