April 26, 2024, 07:59:29 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: complete reactions  (Read 7743 times)

Offline Shah

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
complete reactions
« on: February 10, 2011, 09:20:53 AM »
what is the definition of complete? when to consider a reaction as complete? i.e for what equilibrium constant we consider a reaction is complete and not in equilibrium?

please help, Thanks

Offline rabolisk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +45/-25
Re: complete reactions
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 02:13:55 PM »
Complete means that the limiting reactant is used up all the way. An equilibrium constant would not be measurable for a "complete reaction" as it would approach infinity. If I don't see an equilibrium constant, and I have no reason to believe that it is an equilibrium reaction (e.g. weak acid dissociation) , then I assume that it goes to completion.

Offline Shah

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 02:38:38 PM »
what you said is that what i was taught and believe, but actually i have read in a book that an acid-base reaction is considered as complete(quantitative) when its constant K is greater than 10^4. Is that right??? this is what confused me

thankssss

Offline rabolisk

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +45/-25
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 03:24:21 PM »
The author of the book certainly considers it complete when K > 10^4. But there is no arbitrary cutoff, certainly large K means the products are so overwhelming favored that the reaction has practically gone to completion. Don't worry too much about these arbitrary cutoff numbers. As long as you understand what a complete reaction is, you're good.

Sponsored Links