March 29, 2024, 02:20:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Turnover number of Carbonic Anhydrase  (Read 10608 times)

Offline Rags241

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Turnover number of Carbonic Anhydrase
« on: March 05, 2011, 03:45:15 AM »
So i seem to be very stuck with a question, and I was hoping some of you could give me a helping hand -- point me in the right direction :)

The question is:
Carbonic anhydrase of erythrocytes (Mr 30,000) has one of the highest turnover numbers we know of. It catalyses the reversible hydration of CO2.
If 10 ug of pure carbonic anhydrase catalyses the hydration of 0.30g of CO2 in 1 min at 37 degrees celcius at Vmax, what is the turnover number of carbonic anhydrase (in units of min-1)?

Now I know Vmax=kcat x [E] but I couldn't really get further from there as I had problems calculating [E] -- so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: Turnover number of Carbonic Anhydrase
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 10:40:34 AM »
Do you know how to calculate the number of moles of carbonic anhydrase that correspond to 10μg?  Can you calculate the number of moles that corresponds to 0.30g of carbon dioxide?

Offline Rags241

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 03:23:09 PM »
Yeah that's just a case of n=m/M isn't it? But how do I get from moles to concentration when I don't have a volume -- that's where I got stuck.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 02:44:45 PM »
Just assume your volume is x.  It should cancel out in the end.  (If you prefer using real numbers instead of variables, just assume 1mL volume)

Sponsored Links