March 29, 2024, 05:58:20 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Tablets, iPad 2 or other stylus note taking  (Read 9524 times)

Offline Charkol

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Tablets, iPad 2 or other stylus note taking
« on: April 08, 2011, 10:24:03 PM »
I've been looking at and thinking about getting some sort of tablet to take notes in my classes.  I have about 3 years of school ahead of me, at least.

What is the deal with these tablets?  Some do allow taking notes using the stylus, others don't?

What I am interested in at this moment is a tablet that would give me note taking space that would be like the Windows Paint, just a blank sheet that will record all my handwriting, doodles, and things. 

Does this exist for this purpose?  Which ones would be best for this purpose?

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: Tablets, iPad 2 or other stylus note taking
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 01:15:29 PM »
There are lots of options.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-io-Personal-Digital-Pen/dp/B00006JP23

Live Scribe (requires special paper, available at places like Best Buy):
http://www.livescribe.com/en-us/

Of the many people I know who has gone this route for school (including iPad and tablets), they all say it is not worth it and give up. They are to slow and cumbersome to use and in class you end up missing information. Except for Light Scribe, but, the paper is a lot most costly then regular notebook paper.

For tablets like the iPad you have to buy a special stylus, yes.

I have played with them all, and like them; but except for Light Scribe I just do not see them being useful for Chemistry, because in Chemistry you do more then just text and numbers, lots of weird figures, etc.

Even people with the really expensive FULL laptop/tablet PC's (not the simplified iPad like devices), they give up usually and switch regular paper.

But I HIGHLY recommend you you go to stores or find people and really try for a good bit to use the devices as you intend; not just quickly and think "cool". I personally do not own any. I used regular paper with a 4 color pen, and have a cheap auto-feed scanner (you just give it a name and date, load all the pages and hit go). Its honestly much cheaper and just as effective and easy in my opinion.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 03:49:01 PM »
...just a blank sheet that will record all my handwriting, doodles, and things.  

Does this exist for this purpose?  Which ones would be best for this purpose?

There's some awesome new tech coming out now that can do exactly this, I got one of these recently and I have to say I don't know how I managed before. Really amazing.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 04:16:42 PM »
Does OneNote have a stylus input mode?  OneNote was made for non-linear note-taking, and if it allowed stylus input on a Tablet, this may be a solution.
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline Fzang

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 07:47:59 AM »
Does OneNote have a stylus input mode?  OneNote was made for non-linear note-taking, and if it allowed stylus input on a Tablet, this may be a solution.

Yes it does :)

Offline stevenrkeyes

• Very New Member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 02:03:48 AM »
Of the many people I know who has gone this route for school (including iPad and tablets), they all say it is not worth it and give up. They are to slow and cumbersome to use and in class you end up missing information. Except for Light Scribe, but, the paper is a lot most costly then regular notebook paper.
I have played with them all, and like them; but except for Light Scribe I just do not see them being useful for Chemistry, because in Chemistry you do more then just text and numbers, lots of weird figures, etc.
Even people with the really expensive FULL laptop/tablet PC's (not the simplified iPad like devices), they give up usually and switch regular paper.
But I HIGHLY recommend you you go to stores or find people and really try for a good bit to use the devices as you intend; not just quickly and think "cool". I personally do not own any. I used regular paper with a 4 color pen, and have a cheap auto-feed scanner (you just give it a name and date, load all the pages and hit go). Its honestly much cheaper and just as effective and easy in my opinion.

I'm a little confused--why do people switch from tablets to notebook paper? Doesn't a tablet work practically like paper?

I like the idea with a scanner. nice.

Offline lunar2

• Very New Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 12:33:35 PM »
I've used the Livescribe and can say it's pretty good, the only problems is that it's significantly more expensive than the I-pen which does an equally good job.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links