March 29, 2024, 07:59:55 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: employment contracts  (Read 3771 times)

Offline stewie griffin

• Mole Snacks: +61/-7
employment contracts
« on: March 22, 2011, 05:46:11 PM »
As a recent graduate I'm looking for employment and by far the most readily available jobs these days seem to be contract jobs.
My concern is what happens if you are at a contract job, say 6 months for the sake of argument, and then something better comes up? Are you required to complete the full 6 months before you can leave, or can you just give your 2 weeks notice and leave?
Anybody here have direct experience in leaving a contract position?

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
Re: employment contracts
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 06:13:38 PM »
Typically it's easy to get rid of contract staff and easy for them to leave with very short notice periods on both sides.

Offline stewie griffin

• Mole Snacks: +61/-7
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 06:25:15 PM »
"easy" as in there's no legal punishment for having just arrived and then decide to take off?

Offline BPEARCE

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 04:45:49 AM »
Different companies have different rules, read your contract.

Usually temporary  contracts are just that, the company takes the risk that you might leave early with a minimum notice period, against the fact that you are cheaper as a temporary contractor.

I have left temp contratcs early for permanent contracts, they don't like it, but can't stop you.

The only thing I would careful with is if they are a big employer locally, don't want to burn your bridges for the future!

Regards

Ben

Sponsored Links