March 29, 2024, 10:37:53 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemical Reactions Hypothesis...  (Read 24966 times)

Offline davyvfr

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemical Reactions Hypothesis...
« on: April 18, 2011, 07:42:48 PM »
So just recently in class we did a lab in which we (the students) had to recognize chemical reactions. My homework was to write a hypothesis for a lab report. This is my hypothesis I came up with:

If a chemical reaction is going to be observed when chemicals are: mixed, heated, or any other means of altering the substance, then we will be able to predict the products formed.   

Its an If/Then statement. Here is the teachers. She always gives us a sample. In fact, she told us our hypothesis is going to be like her's or very similar. This is my Chem. Teachers Hypothesis:

If evidence of a chemical reaction is detected when certain chemicals are combined and these reactions fall into one of four categories, we will then be able to reasonably predict the products formed.

This was the lab sheet: http://www.sheboyganfalls.k12.wi.us/mjnikson/files/2011/03/Lab-14-Types-of-Chemical-Reactions.pdf

Please help me modify my hypothesis to make it better. Thanks :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 07:54:17 PM by davyvfr »

Offline KyleH

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Re: Chemical Reactions Hypothesis...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 10:50:27 PM »
To start, yours is too specific.. For example: when chemicals are mixed a chemical reaction will happen.

First off, what are considered to be chemicals? could i classify water and oil as a chemical?  If i were to mix these two things then a chemical reaction would not occur.

You need to narrow your thought process more like your teachers, she mentions categories the chemical reactions are based under?  How do you know a chemical reaction has occured?

You may want to address the basics of knowing when a chemical reaction has occurred before delving deeper and specifically stating that a chemical reaction happens only under these conditions

Sponsored Links