April 18, 2024, 02:54:15 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reactivity of Nucleophiles  (Read 6149 times)

Offline Catherine S.P

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Reactivity of Nucleophiles
« on: May 07, 2011, 12:54:51 PM »
Im asked to compare the 3 nucleophiles, PhO-, PhS- and PhOH and list them in order of reactivity....

With regards to PhO- and PhS-, is PhS- more reactive because the Sulphur is a bigger atom so the overlap between the pi system and the Sulphur is greater whereas Oxygen being a smaller atom cannot overlap as much? But I would have thought that if the atom was smaller it would be more reactive because the nucleus of the oxygen would be closer to the phenyl pi system!!
And also Im unsure whether these two phenyl nucleophiles would be more or less reactive than PhOH, my guess is that having a hydrogen attatched means its less reactive as it hasnt got that negetive charge anymore because the hydrogen cancels it out. Is this right?!

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-10
Re: Reactivity of Nucleophiles
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 03:16:52 PM »
I think you've got the overlap of S vs. O with a phenyl ring reasoning backwards. C and O tend to have comparable radii, and therefore overlap between the two is pretty favorable, but S tends to be much larger, and does not overlap as efficiently. Look up the stability of thioesters vs. regular esters.

As for the rest of the question: what qualities tend to make a species more nucleophilic and how are they displayed by the options you have?
Individual results may vary

Offline zoork34

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
Re: Reactivity of Nucleophiles
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 11:23:13 AM »
You can compare the nucleophilicity on electronegativity also.More electronegative atom has less tendency to donate electrons.

Sponsored Links