April 27, 2024, 12:55:40 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: melting point of acetanilide (mp 113-114%C) when it is mixed with 10% by weight  (Read 11579 times)

MarkNY8679

How do I give a qualitative estimate of the melting point of acetanilide (mp 113-114%C) when it is mixed with 10% by weight of naphthalene (mp 80-82%)?

What is the mathematical formula used to do this? I thought this could only be done by observation. I know the mp will be lower and over a wider range because the 10% naphthalen will be an added impurity.How specific of an estimation can I give? Do I need to know the molecular weights of acetanilide and naphthalene?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 02:18:04 AM by Mitch »

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re:Acetanilide
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 11:53:24 PM »
Qualitatively the melting point of most compounds will decrease with a small amount of impurity. I don't know of a formula for calculating this (maybe someone else can help with that, I have never heard of one though).

Quantitatively you can measure the melting point and quote a melting point range.
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
Re:Acetanilide
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 01:08:50 AM »
I think that you need to have a plot of the melting point depression as a function of the percent composition.  I remember looking at a lot of such plots in my thermodynamics class.  I don't recall if there is really an equation for this phenomenon; I think it depends on the particular compounds involved.

Sponsored Links