April 24, 2024, 08:11:39 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What is the best/safest way to prepare a saturated salt solution  (Read 8860 times)

Offline grizz

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
This is more of a real world question than a experiment.  I use calcium chloride in a flake form (DOW Flake is the brand name) on the BMX track I run.  The dirt we have has very low clay and sand %, so when it dries out, it turns to dust.  The salt keeps the track moist during our hot, humid summers, so it doesn't dry out as quickly.  The salt is applied to the track after watering the dirt, so it dissolves into the damp dirt.  The Dow Flake is expensive, so I am looking for less expensive, and easier to apply, solutions (no pun intended.)

I am aware that the flake calcium chloride is a better salt for this application, but I have tried using generic ice melt salt (sodium chloride, I believe) as well.  The larger crystals take forever to dissolve.  So, I am considering first making a salt solution and then applying that either while we are watering the track (with a garden hose attached sprayer) or after with backpack type chemical sprayer.  I was planning on storing the salt solution in 2 liter pop bottles.

So, here is my question(s).  First, do these ideas seem feasible and/or sane, and second, how do I safely create the salt solution (I am personally aware that salt can cause 'burns' because it is hygroscopic.)

About me, to help me decide if this is a good/bad idea.  I am a self-taught jack-of-all-trades, no degree (yet, math major), 20+ IT professional, fix all my own stuff (bikes, cars, home, etc) but I haven't taken a chemistry class since high school.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks,
David Griswold
Omaha, NE

Offline Grundalizer

• Mole Snacks: +19/-31
Re: What is the best/safest way to prepare a saturated salt solution
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 07:20:54 PM »
Hi, I would advise AGAINST using NaCl, regular salt, as it is not as hygroscopic as calcium chloride.  Calcium chloride is used as a desiccant (dry's stuff out) whereas regular sodium chloride is not.

I did a quick Google and found 50lb bags of Calcium chloride for $30, I imagine that would last a while.

You really don't have anything to worry about as far as making a salt solution, it's not going to eat through your skin or anything.  But---!!! I would do any large scale mixing outside, or under your oven fan hood.  The dust can irritate your lungs and throat, as it dissolves in the moisture in your mouth, RELEASING heat in an exothermic reaction, so it can definitely not be fun to breath in a lot of dust when you empty the 50lb bag all at once.

It's best when making concentrated solutions of a salt to speed up the process by applying heat.  If you have a big pot that you cook stew in or something, 2 or 3 gallon size, just dump in a bunch of salt and throw it on the stove and add salt, heat until dissolved and stir, then do whatever you want with it. 

So yeah, MSDS and safety sheets always make things sound more dangerous then they are (relative statement)  as in, water can kill you if ingested in large quantities etc.

Just be safe, avoid breathing in massive amounts of dust, and you'll be fine.

Offline grizz

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 09:55:06 PM »
I was also concerned about NaCl not being as hygroscopic as CaCL.  I will do some searching for CaCl online, but I shipping is always a concern, which is why I buy the brand name stuff from Univar.

I have caused my hands to get pretty red from handling the CaCl without gloves.  I also have a very shrunken, dry pair of leather gloves that I used once.  So, I am used to using rubber gloves now.  I am going to trying this on the small scale first, and just use it on a small section of the track.  I seem to remember reading on wikipedia that CaCl can dissolve in close to an equal weight in water, but I will have to double check that first.

Concerning application - what will CaCl corrode?  The sprayer I used for herbicides has a brass nozzle.  Not sure about internally, with the pump mechanism, but everything else is plastic and rubber.

Thanks,
David

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 04:02:37 PM »
There are Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) snow melt bags you can guy at local hardware stores.
NaCl is about ~5 times more soluble in water the CaCl2, which is probably not what you want in this case, actually.

If I read correct, you currently sprinkle the powder over the track and want to look at making a solution and pour it onto the track? I think the solution is NOT the way to go, as you are going to take a lot of the salt deeper into the ground where it will not be very useful for your purposes.

Not sure about the cost of salts and water in your area, but it might be easier and cheaper in the long run to install a mister system and every few hours spray it for a few minutes to keep it slightly moist.

Offline Grundalizer

• Mole Snacks: +19/-31
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 09:52:24 PM »
yeah good point, never even thought of that.  what about just a hose?  or water mister?  if you go the CaCl route, they have those machines you fill with lawn grass seed, and as you push it it sprays it in a wide arc, that might be nice to have for just running up and down the track.

btw, where are you from if shipping is a cost?

Offline zaphraud

• Mole Snacks: +2/-10
  • Microwave Chemist
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 10:35:03 AM »
You really don't have anything to worry about as far as making a salt solution, it's not going to eat through your skin or anything.  But---!!! I would do any large scale mixing outside, or under your oven fan hood.  The dust can irritate your lungs and throat, as it dissolves in the moisture in your mouth, RELEASING heat in an exothermic reaction, so it can definitely not be fun to breath in a lot of dust when you empty the 50lb bag all at once.

Around here (AZ), oven fan hoods don't typically vent to the outside. That might even be energy efficiency code. Lame? yes. I'm not sure adding a bunch of CaCl2 dust to the activated charcoal filter would be a great idea; it seems like it could change the dynamics of what happens to already-mildly-toxic fumes that are generated when one fries food (if one even does), and considering those filters usually sit in there for a good long while before being replaced, just.. seems like a bad idea. Like something that might end up really stinking the place up even if it weren't toxic.

Sponsored Links