April 24, 2024, 04:34:50 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Setting up a lab  (Read 7816 times)

Offline Mirage

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Setting up a lab
« on: February 27, 2011, 11:30:10 PM »
So I recently started chemistry, and I just love it! It is he most amazing thing that I have ever made a hobby of. Now currently my lab is set up downstairs in a sort of rex room right next to a door with table outside. I am wondering if their is anything that is ABSOLUTELY important because I am just making an order with united nuclear.
Also, is there any feaseable way went fumes outside. My work desk is about 2 ft away from the door. With my dad on google sketchup, we have designed a small sort of fume hood. It is VERY small about 2 ft wide and 3 ft tall with a hole in the top and a XL computer fan blowing any fumes through a sort of pipe like the ones on the back of dryers. I would have it really long so I would only have to lead it outside through my open door. The only problem I could think of is that my dad is rally busy with work so I would have to make it myself, and woodwork is not my strong suit. So I was thinking just having someone put in a window next to door and just open the window and put a large box fan blowing outside. Or would it be just easier to go outside to do any sort of reactions that produce fumes. I was just thinking it would be nice to not have to get up and move my apparatus outside every time. Thanks for all your replies in advanced :)

Mirage
Aspiring Chemist

Offline Glassblower

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
Re: Setting up a lab
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 10:51:04 AM »
Make sure you have a fire extinguisher.

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 11:27:52 AM »
Woodwork to make it look nice is difficult.
Woodwork to be functional is easy.

Balsa wood is your friend....

I used to use a balsa wood and plexiglass box (about 1 foot each dimension)  with a computer fan on both sides of the dryer hose as a fumehood.  I could use fuming acids (HNO3, oleum) without smelling a thing. 

Offline Mirage

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 12:13:48 PM »
Make sure you have a fire extinguisher.
For sure. I think we have an extra one I could just get from my parents.

Hmm. How thick was the balsa. I usually think balsa wood is really thin. Like 1/32 of an inch! Obviously you would use thicker wood, but where you be able to get that? I have never seen this in any hardware store in canada

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 01:14:01 PM »
Rona or Revy has it.  I used 1/4 inch.

Offline Mirage

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 01:54:23 PM »
Rona or Revy has it.  I used 1/4 inch.
Awsome! Thanks for the help. I will try to post some pics once I have made it.
Mirage

Offline Zerm

• Mole Snacks: +5/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 10:32:37 AM »
Be careful using a computer fan to vent fumes.  Those things can't build up the pressure required to force efficient airflow around bends or through long hose.  For that, you need a centrifugal fan.  The kind one could salvage from a range top vent would be ideal.  Smaller ones may do the trick, however, if the hood is fairly small.  Radio shack where I am typically carries them. 

What's important is to be able to feel a very gentle air flow just inside the opening of the cupboard.  This inward air flow means fumes can't waft out.  Definitely check the exhaust port to make sure you are getting a steady air flow before you use the hood for dangerous chemicals.

I also recommend sealing all the seams with silicone.  Its an easy step that will greatly improve the suction and overall quality of the hood.  Also, a light of some kind would be prudent.

Offline Mirage

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 11:03:53 AM »
Be careful using a computer fan to vent fumes.  Those things can't build up the pressure required to force efficient airflow around bends or through long hose.  For that, you need a centrifugal fan.  The kind one could salvage from a range top vent would be ideal.  Smaller ones may do the trick, however, if the hood is fairly small.  Radio shack where I am typically carries them. 

What's important is to be able to feel a very gentle air flow just inside the opening of the cupboard.  This inward air flow means fumes can't waft out.  Definitely check the exhaust port to make sure you are getting a steady air flow before you use the hood for dangerous chemicals.

Sure, il have to put this together soon. Its SO coldd outside! Thanks for the advice!

I also recommend sealing all the seams with silicone.  Its an easy step that will greatly improve the suction and overall quality of the hood.  Also, a light of some kind would be prudent.

Offline vmelkon

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-10
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 04:55:51 PM »
I wish I could get a CO2 extinguisher.

Offline zaphraud

• Mole Snacks: +2/-10
  • Microwave Chemist
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 01:45:33 PM »
Centrifugal fans are like 15 bucks at home depot (ask the employees for a replacement bathroom fart fan and they will take you right to them). I wouldn't bother attempting salvage unless I literally had an extra device containing one waiting for immediate disposal.

Sponsored Links