April 23, 2024, 01:38:39 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Extraction of EPA  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Tamagotchi

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Extraction of EPA
« on: July 02, 2011, 12:36:13 PM »

Hi, I am a pre-undergraduate student studying in the UK.

There is a chemistry competition for a company which my school has connections with and the project needs to involve extracting chemicals from a plant. I did some research and, as I have had an interest in neurology, I thought the extraction of Eicosapentanoic Acid (EPA) from fish or algae might be interesting. The problem, however, is how to extract this  substance from the fish/algae. I have looked up on the internet of ways to extract EPA but found nothing. Could someone explain to me how I could carry out this experiment to extract EPA and, if possible, the names of the mechanisms (or the mechanism itself) involved.

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-10
Re: Extraction of EPA
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 02:13:33 PM »
A search for "eicosapentanoic acid* isolation" yielded a few results that may be helpful. http://www.cyberlipid.org/fattyt/fatt0002.htm. It looks like it may be somewhat complicated for an amateur, but you may get something to work from it. Just don't expect to get a huge amount. As for a source material: how much EPA does cod liver oil contain? Its probably cheaper, easier, and safer than throwing a salmon in a blender with a bunch of hexane.

*Most chemical names are not proper nouns. Makes little difference to an internet search, but if you are presenting this, its best to keep such things straight.
Individual results may vary

Offline Honclbrif

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-10
Re: Extraction of EPA
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 02:26:49 PM »
Re-read the OP. If you have to extract it from a plant, then i would think about getting it from algae instead of fish (even though the fish do get it from the algae themselves). Alternatively, you could try flax seed oil if omega-3s are your thing. Don't know if there's any EPA in that though.
Individual results may vary

Sponsored Links