March 29, 2024, 09:11:01 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: At what stage emulsions are formed in EOR ?  (Read 4825 times)

Offline shbf

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
At what stage emulsions are formed in EOR ?
« on: July 22, 2011, 08:45:52 AM »
hi.
My professor asked me to investigate the role of emulsion in Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR). So I need your help because I have some difficulty finding how exactly emulsions help us there?

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
Re: At what stage emulsions are formed in EOR ?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 03:03:34 PM »
An emulsion in the sense of enhanced oil recovery is essentially a stable mixture of water, oil, and an emulsifier. Once you've done your primary oil recovery, oil is left in tiny fissures in the rock. You would like to be able to wash it out of those fissures and recover it, and you can do that by adding essentially soap and water to make a stable emulsion which can be pumped out.

That should at least give you a starting point.

One of my first research projects outside of college involved screening surfactants for their ability to make stable emulsions of water and various samples of crude oil :)

Offline shbf

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 04:00:08 AM »
Thank you very much :)
I think ASP flooding is one of the related ways to do so, right? What are the other ways? (what I'm trying to say is that what other keywords should I search? I've read a lot of articles, but it's not just what I need).
And next thing he asked me to search about is a comparison between the use of regular emulsion (with surfactant) and pickering emulsion (with particles) in EOR.

Offline shbf

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 03:00:04 PM »
Update: I found this photo in a powerpoint presentation, so what I need to know is that how "emulsion" helps EOR?
photo > http://www.irupload.ir/images/iogzrp1klbd2zkkgdiv1.jpg

Sponsored Links