If I found out I was living in a house where a previous owner had spilled an indeterminate amount of mercury, and attempted to hide that fact, I would sue. You don't know how much you've spilled, and it may be much less, or much more than you suspect. It's true, elemental Hg is not acutely toxic, however it is a cumulative poison, which means it builds up in your system over time.
I would at the very least look into how to properly dispose of your mercury, as you don't seem to be the type to experiment with it safely. I would rather get rid of the hazard, than risk it accidentally spilling, or the jar breaking. Also, elemental sulfur will react with mercury to make cinnabar, however a percentage decomposes back to elemental forms in warm temperatures so it isn't a be-all, end-all solution. Even if you don't tell the local health services about the spills, they'll still have advice on what to do with the bulk of the metal.