April 19, 2024, 12:58:58 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Can science and religion coexist peacefully?  (Read 10801 times)

Offline kowalskil

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Can science and religion coexist peacefully?
« on: November 26, 2010, 12:34:51 PM »
Can science and religion coexist peacefully? This is a good question to start an interesting discussion among scientists, theologians and sociologists. See how this question was answered by many smart people at my website:

http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/donotmix.html

Please forward this message to those who might be interested. Thank you in advance.

Ludwik Kowalski
Professor Emeritus
Montclair State University, NJ

Organic Mark

Re: Can science and religion coexist peacefully?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 08:28:06 AM »
I haven't read you article, yet, but I have been researching this subject extensively and have come to the conclusion that the only way for this question to begin to be answered is for religion to first give up all of it's misinformation about what the Bible teaches. I have spent time comparing it with religious dogmas and have found that most of what religion teaches is little more than tradition and misinterpretation. For this subject to be debated properly, all of this would have to be first cleared away.

Offline vmelkon

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-10
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 08:53:32 PM »
I haven't read you article, yet, but I have been researching this subject extensively and have come to the conclusion that the only way for this question to begin to be answered is for religion to first give up all of it's misinformation about what the Bible teaches. I have spent time comparing it with religious dogmas and have found that most of what religion teaches is little more than tradition and misinterpretation. For this subject to be debated properly, all of this would have to be first cleared away.

What about the other religions?

Offline Hybrid

• Mole Snacks: +3/-3
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 11:16:32 PM »
every two things can co-exist but in peace ; it is like electron and positron they co-exist and immediately one of them will die off

Offline kortex

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 03:51:35 PM »
They can if everyone stops arguing about it!  But most likely not :).

Offline someuser

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 05:36:05 PM »
Good book to read on this topic is Joseph Campbell "A Hero with a Thousand Faces". The premise of the book is that all religions are actual the same tale told from different perspectives (Campbell call this the "monomyth"). The important thing to keep in mind is that contemporary mythologies (Christianity, Islam, Judaism, ect) use metaphors, hyperbole, and personification in an attempt to explain many very complex questions. Obviously, some people get stuck in those metaphors, hyperbole, and personification and fail to see the deeper questions and meanings.

Obviously it is silly to think that God made us in his image (like God needs human physiology), that the Earth was created in seven days, or that God specifically cares about –you-. But, for instance, the idea of God is a valid one. God is a force of creation and there is no arguing there are forces of creation in this universe. It’s just easier, using this example, to put a human face and emotion to it.

It’s an interesting topic, which is why I bumped it from near certain death.

Offline vmelkon

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-10
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 10:36:07 AM »
Obviously it is silly to think that God made us in his image (like God needs human physiology), that the Earth was created in seven days, or that God specifically cares about –you-. But, for instance, the idea of God is a valid one. God is a force of creation and there is no arguing there are forces of creation in this universe. It’s just easier, using this example, to put a human face and emotion to it.

It’s an interesting topic, which is why I bumped it from near certain death.

"there is no arguing there are forces of creation in this universe"
What do you mean by forces of creation?

"God is a force of creation"
God is not always considered a force of creation. "Force of creation" makes it sound like it is a thing, an object with no brains.

In christianity and the like, they consider God to have intelligence. There is only 1 of it, but the most important part is that it is intelligent being. It makes decisions. It judges you. etc.

Compare that with atheism which says there is no central intelligence. There is matter and energy and space with their own properties.

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +41/-14
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 03:10:17 AM »
No, like Alchemy and Chemistry could not coexist peacefully. Unless religious groups are willing to push the goal posts on their beliefs so far back as to effectively make no claims at all.

Offline edwards.kevin41

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 07:41:43 AM »
Let us first define science and religion in absolute terms. Only after that can we state any evidence, if they can or cannot co-exist.

Offline Caustikola

• Mole Snacks: +4/-9
    • Chemistry:The Central Science
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 08:22:51 AM »
I must say this:
I'm a chemist, and I'm a christian, and science and religeon beautifully coexist in me!
 Although I don't consider christianity a religeon(which is true) true Christianity is not just a religeon. ITS A WAY OF LIFE! i won't say i'm not preaching here...I cant help it. In my country where I live, there's a lot of witchcraft and other diabolic stuff around so if you are doubting the existence of God, you're simply on your own... we pray and recieve miracles.we are happy and content
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 09:02:46 AM by Arkcon »
Nothing gets higher than where God dwells. If there is an upper limit to the universe,call it the abode of God

Sponsored Links