March 28, 2024, 05:13:50 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: DIY - Melting Point Apparatus  (Read 11762 times)

Offline Jasim

• Mole Snacks: +15/-5
  • Analytical chemist, passionate about chemistry
DIY - Melting Point Apparatus
« on: August 15, 2011, 04:02:47 PM »
Meltemps are awesome, but also very expensive. A quick search gives the cheapest (used) at around 1,000 USD.

Certainly it can't be that difficult to build your own, but i can't find any specifics on this (save one thread at DMT Nexus*).

Has anyone on here ever made or thought about making a melting point apparatus? Any guidance or other assistance would be appreciated. I'm sure it can be done without too much trouble for a LOT less than a thousand bucks.

* I do not post or support anything at DMT Nexus, just saw the thread on a google search.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: DIY - Melting Point Apparatus
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 03:18:45 AM »
Check old books on organic chemistry, before melting apparatuses became commercially available common practice was to use just a thermometer and a capillary tube. I suppose google books should have something, they have a lot of old science books scanned.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +203/-28
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 07:35:20 AM »
Basically, all you need is a beaker of silicon oil (preferably with a stirrer for more even heating), a controllable heat source, a thermometer, and a magnifying glass. And a framework of your own design to hold all the pieces together. A combination magnetic stirrer/hotplate works for the heater and stirrer, and clamps with a ringstand will handle just about everything else. The magnifying glass is just so you can get away with melting tiny amounts of your material in a capillary tube rather than much larger amounts in a small test tube.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 12:27:02 PM »
a controllable heat source

In Otto Dimroth lab a "controllable heat source" was just a burning cigar :)

(quoted after Was nicht in den Annalen steht, by J. Hausen)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline rjb

• Mole Snacks: +17/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 05:32:37 AM »
Does anyone remember Kofler hot-stages? Not exactly accurate, but I would imagine it wouldn't be difficult to build one...

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 05:01:11 PM »
Does anyone remember Kofler hot-stages? Not exactly accurate, but I would imagine it wouldn't be difficult to build one...

I never found accuracy to be that much of an issue, and it was much less messy and had a smaller footprint than the Mel-Temp. I much prefered them.

Offline Jasim

• Mole Snacks: +15/-5
  • Analytical chemist, passionate about chemistry
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 01:00:26 PM »
Since I posted this I learned about something called a Thiele Tube. It's a piece of glassware ($50-$100) that can be used to find the melting point of a substance.

You clamp this tube and put a heat source on the side opposite the hole (it's an oddly shaped piece), fill the thiele tube about three quarters full with oil, using a second clamp to clamp a thermometer holder and a small piece of rubber tubing cut into a ring to attach your sample capillary, submerge into oil, and slowly heat. The oil increases in temperature and heats the sample, it circulates around the tube to allow for slow and uniform heating.

There are more details you need to learn about if you are actually going to do this, but it seems very simple and easy. The major drawback I see is that the heat source in this case would have to be an open flame.

Offline fledarmus

• Chemist
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 04:49:54 PM »
If you're worried about an open flame, a heat gun actually works just fine on a Thiele tube.

Sponsored Links