April 29, 2024, 12:25:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Is MMS from Jim Humble safe? What can cause NaClO2 to the cells?  (Read 28026 times)

Offline samnathan

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-5
Is MMS from Jim Humble safe? What can cause NaClO2 to the cells?
« on: September 02, 2011, 04:32:33 AM »
Hi, I would like to ask you, if you concider NaClO2 harmless for the human body/cells.

I am asking because my father want to try the "healing" method described by Jim Humble (http://jimhumble.biz/), but I am afraid he can make something bad to his body.

I am not good in chemistry, so, I would like to ask you scientists and enthusiasts, if is NaClO2 safe. Maybe it can damage the cell membrane or something else in human body, I do not know. What do you think?

I am sceptical of Jim Humble MMS (Miracle Mineral Supplement) method, however I would like to hear your opinion if possible.

Thanks in advance for any info/advice/opinion.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Is MMS from Jim Humble safe? What can cause NaClO2 to the cells?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 06:15:44 AM »
I don't like strange links, so I won't be clicking on your link.  I don't really want to hear this guy's spiel, anyway.  You can read about the reagent in question on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_chlorite

It isn't exactly a harmless chemical, and because of that, it won't hurt right away, and give you a warning.

You can also read some wikipedia references on the product itself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_Mineral_Supplement

Wikipedia has references that trace back to the identity of who has made the statement, some of them are government agencies, and scientists who put their reputations on the line.  That makes the opinion "better" than a forum posting or a web page, which contain random testimonials.

Personally 'tho, I wouldn't ingest this chemical, and the logic presented behind the concept doesn't seem right to me -- nothing can cure everything, illnesses have different causes, and need different treatments.  Everyone older than 5 years old should understand that, unless they try too hard not to.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline rjb

• Mole Snacks: +17/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 06:46:27 AM »
Samnathan,

Sodium Chlorite is quite an unpleasant compound, but from what I gather from your link, in the MMS therapy, it is converted to Chlorine Dioxide before use. This is in itself quite a nasty compound (see http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/CH/chlorine_dioxide.html) and although rather a good antimicrobial is not (in my opinion) at all approriate for human consumption however dilute.

I am unaware of any clinical trials which show that MMS is effective at combatting the sorts of diseases its maker claims and I would suspect that the risks associated with the common side effects of its use (diarrhoea and vomitting) far outweigh any benefits through placebo effects... This is especially true in the elderly.

I can see why someone with inoperable terminal cancer for example might give it a go, but suspect their time and money would be better spent with family rather than lining the pockets of a charlatan.

Kind Regards

R
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 03:38:49 PM by Arkcon »

Offline samnathan

• Very New Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 09:58:38 AM »
Thanks guys, any other opinions? I mean I would like to hear some opinion on the effect of this chemical solution to the human cells? I mean the digestive epithelium (intestinal villi etc.) or nervous system etc. He states that this solution can exist in the body only for 2-3 hours or so and then "dissapears" - transforms to some other chemical solution/go out of the body.

E.g. in Jim Humble book there is a page where he spray a neck tumor with this solution and the tumor start to "desintegrate" and go to pieces. Could this be the effect of NaClO2?

Because it is used in swimming pool and toilets for disinfection, so, maybe in smaller amount it could possible "disinfect" human body. What do you think?

One more question, have you ever heard about him in the mass media or anywhere else?

Because one thing is very interesting. He is not asking any money for this information and also there is no marketing.

You can create the "drug" yourself. The solution can be purchased in my country for a little money and if you have some friend in waterworks you can have it gratis or for a very few bucks ;).

My concern is if it can create a permanent damage to the human body. If it can cause cancer of digestive system, permanent change of epithelium etc, or lung cancer etc.)

What do you think?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 10:10:23 AM by samnathan »

Offline JGK

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +66/-19
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Offline Fluoroantimonicacid

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 05:29:44 AM »
My opinion, I would not breathe chlorine dioxide. It's like breathing chlorine!

Offline samnathan

• Very New Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 06:03:20 AM »
Thanks, but is there any scientific study that shows he is wrong?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 06:29:01 AM »
I doubt anybody will try to do such a study - it would be like studying if a gun is lethal by finding people that you can shot at, to check how many will survive. There is no doubt substance in question is a poison.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 11:35:21 AM »
Thanks, but is there any scientific study that shows he is wrong?

Both the Wikipedia pages I linked to specifically cite recent studies on this substance's toxicity.  You can go there, click, download and read them.  In my opinion, since they've been published in reputable journals, and I haven't heard of retractions, that means their conclusions are pretty valid, and those conclusions are adequately summarized, with minimal bias, in the Wikipedia articles.

You started this thread stating that you were worried about a relative who wanted to self-medicate with this particular treatment.  I warned you that some people are stubborn, and won't listen to carefully thought out explanations.  Now you seem to me making as many excuses as you can for this guy's procedure.  Maybe you just wanted to soap-box about this guy, or maybe not.  But this discussion is beginning to become pointlessly circular.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline samnathan

• Very New Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 12:11:54 PM »
Everyone is biased, it is the nature of our experience in the past. But back to my point. Some guys here are stated here that NaClO2 is poison. So is H2O when it reach a certain amount. If the inbalance is very big, the creature/human die.

I am a little bit of disapointed of the reactions on this forum. Do not get me wrong, I appreciate your answers and advice, however to me there are missing some facts.

E.g. the people are acusing Jim Humble from not beiing a doctor and such. This is not enough for me. I would like to see some facts that disprove the chemical reactions which he is talking about and so.

You have also agreed that there is no scientific study that displrove Humble's theory.

But I might be wrong. Please, give me some link to some research study if such study exist.

I am the last one who would agree with Humble, howeever I have no objective evidence he is wrong.

The last question remains, why is he doing it for no profit?

And my last thought in this reaction:

"You use water to get the dirt away from your skin and cavities (mouth etc.) because it binds the dirt and other molecules and microbes and the gravity/or the force of your hand,fingers etc push them away from your skin. What if this "poison" NaClO2 (in small amount) could do something like that in your body. What do you think about it?"

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
Try it and report back if you are so convinced. 

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 02:03:16 PM »
I feel like things are standing on the head here now.

Some guy said NaClO2 cures everything, but - apart from his words - we have no proofs that's the case.

Others have proven - using scientific methods, whatever they were in this case - that the same substance is poisonous.

Burden of the proof is on the claimant, especially if he claims things that are in direct contradiction of what we already know. Yet you want us to prove Humble is wrong?

Or you can look at things from different perspective. Even if we don't have DIRECT proof he is wrong, it doesn't make his claim right. That's classic argument from ignorance.

To some extent it makes me even think about Russel's teapot.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline samnathan

• Very New Member
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 03:15:42 PM »
Yes, you are probably right that he is wrong, but I need some proof for my father to give up. And right now I do not have any except that it is a poison.

But to be honest every prescription drug is including aspirin is poison to the organism or to some of the organs if used for a long time or in high amount.

So, my problem is that except the mentioned "poison" aspect I have no proof that it is a lie ;(.

Offline samnathan

• Very New Member
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 03:26:05 PM »
If I look it from the point that chlorine dioxide make our body naturally to fight virus and infection, it could be that taking it helps the body to fight harder.

What do you think about this?

Offline Fluoroantimonicacid

• Mole Snacks: +2/-1
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 04:04:17 AM »
What will our body do with ClO2? Probably it will try to reduce it, which oxidizes the body. Will your body fight better oxidized? Then we all could drink KMnO4 solution.

Sponsored Links