April 19, 2024, 02:04:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Stumped on This Question about Conversion Factors and CO *PLEASE HELP*  (Read 10282 times)

Offline SoleSky

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hey guys, I'm on my last problem of my chemistry homework but I'm really confused as to how you would get the answer to this question.

Section 1.7 showed that in 1997 Los Angeles County air had carbon monoxide (CO) levels of 15.0 ppm. An average human inhales about 0.50 L of air per breath and takes about 20 breaths per minute.

How many milligrams of carbon monoxide does the average person inhale in an 8 hour period for this level of carbon monoxide pollution? Assume that the carbon monoxide has a density of 1.2 g/L. (Hint: 15.0 ppm CO means 15.0 L CO per 10^6 L air.)

I've attempted it a million times its taken me an hour and a half. I'm really stressed out about it. Please help me.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Stumped on This Question about Conversion Factors and CO *PLEASE HELP*
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 02:43:39 AM »
Hey guys, I'm on my last problem of my chemistry homework but I'm really confused as to how you would get the answer to this question.

Section 1.7 showed that in 1997 Los Angeles County air had carbon monoxide (CO) levels of 15.0 ppm. An average human inhales about 0.50 L of air per breath and takes about 20 breaths per minute.

How many milligrams of carbon monoxide does the average person inhale in an 8 hour period for this level of carbon monoxide pollution? Assume that the carbon monoxide has a density of 1.2 g/L. (Hint: 15.0 ppm CO means 15.0 L CO per 10^6 L air.)

I've attempted it a million times its taken me an hour and a half. I'm really stressed out about it. Please help me.

If a person inhales 0.5 litres of air per breath, and 20 breaths per minute, how much air do they inhale per minute? per hour? over 8 hours?

Offline jlevine_34

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Stumped on This Question about Conversion Factors and CO *PLEASE HELP*
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
This problem is essentially dimensional analysis:

(8hrs)   (60min)   (20 breaths)  (0.50 L air)   (15L CO)            (1.2 g CO)      (1000mg)
               (1 hr)      (1 min)         (1 breath)    (1 x 10^6 L air)   (1L CO)          (1g)

Edit: answer deleted by Borek, please read forum rules.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 04:03:31 PM by Borek »

Sponsored Links